Autumsky's 12G Rimless Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
New rimless low iron rectangle with sleek white matching stand.

60074-albums14227-picture68019.jpg

Maybe black sand.

Zoas, Montiporas and Mushrooms for the most part.

Someday maybe a Dragonet.

Now there will be a Coralife 24" 50/50 actinic.

This is due to a surprise early move of the things I already have since I got a really big Leather and it won't fit in the 12G. Or the 15G until I move some stuff out.

Last edited:
So I picked up some great stuff tonight.

Pic number 2 on the link with the yellow tang (but NOT the yellow Tang)... I got the big Green, I think Sunset Montipora, the polyps on the rock directly left of the green, the rock in the front with the 5 Orange Ricordeas and the Leather in the 4th pic.
Fish, Corals, Live Rock

The issue kinda at the moment is the Leather, it is HUGE! About 10-12" across and 14" tall and then there is a rock pretty big which it is attached to.

The Leather I thought was maybe 6-8" but it is much larger than I was anticipating. The picture seemed smaller to me or maybe it wasn't inflated as much as when I picked it up.

I had planned to plunk this stuff into my existing tank which is the 15G Column, but that is a joke and will not work.

So I am setting up the 12G a little earlier than I was thinking.

Last edited:
So far

Birthday Christmas gift of the tank and stand, but it cost $80 including a "free" $130. bird cage for the purchaser, lol.

From LFS

Picked up a little red Montipora frag for $5.

Picked up a 5 inch rock with 5 blue mushrooms. For $10.

The big Leather $30.
the Sunset Montipora $15.

The 5 Orange Ricordeas rock plus other live rock, $25.

The button polyp rock with mainly 2 types but a few of a 3rd variety for $10.

Have a 30-50 (200GPH) Aquaclear HOB ~17 clearance new in box

Some heater, don't know which one yet.

Last edited:
Pics in a few minutes. Waiting for them to arrive in my box (they just got here now I need to get them added to my albums. My phone is being sent back :/ borrowed phone pics, lol.)

Just got finished scaping the tank! I love it. Some of the little frags need to be moved around and figure out flow and light and which one goes where but I am pretty happy with the general look of it.

Next views...

Misc coral which seems to encrust and then stick out like this piece and bigger.

This one just fell off of a rock. Don't know it's name.
60074-albums14227-picture68015.jpg

New frag on right, was told it was a Montipora, got it for $5.
60074-albums14227-picture68018.jpg

First Full Tank Shot!!!

60074-albums14227-picture68019.jpg

That tank is beautiful! I love the look of rimless tanks. Hopefully I can find a good deal on one someday for my upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice looking tank, very clean set up

Thank you! I think the Button Polyps are doing well, they opened up last night after having the light on for about an hour.

I bought another 10W Aqueon compact CFL bulb for $10. and will be putting it into my Architect light and adding it to the 12G. It's clamp is broken so i will have to zip tie it or something so it doesn't fall in the water. I need to check a specialty hardware store and see if I can get another clamp for the bottom.

Really nice tank :) you've set it up lovely. The blue mushrooms are cool, didn't know you get things like that :confused: I'm following along i might Learn something lol

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

Thank you!

I just found my clamp light (like for reptiles) and added the other 10W 50/50 CFL bulb. Wow, are the Orange and Rust Ricordea really opening up!

Also fed a little Reef Feast Rotifers this morning.

Going to look through the fish stuff for the power head I have NIB FW one but it is largish and rather unsightly. Somewhere is a Koralia from a tank I bought quite a while back.

My hope for the next couple weeks is to find a Blue Florida Ricordea for a reasonable price.

Shellyx - The care is very simple with a smallish tank and the softies, Mushrooms, Ricordeas. My 5G just ran itself pretty much with a $15 investment for the light bulb and a used desk lamp with a goose neck. Some sand and a few Macroalgaes. A nice little tank and a little light and some live rock and a bag of live sand... ;)

I am surprised how much I love this tank. I liked the 15G column, but knew the column wasn't the best tank for SW the shape limits your light penetration, but needed the extra space for the fish. Now I want to get the fish from the 15G into a 36G, now that they spawned and are growing up!

The low iron glass is really nice too!

Last edited:
Post pics of the orange ric!! I love pics! I was just asking one of my LFSs about getting some ricordea and he said the ricordea Florida is hard to come by right now because there was a bleaching this summer. Guess I should follow the news more, I had not heard. One of my rics is splitting, almost completed so maybe I can trade half of it in for decent store credit! :)

Oops, thought I already posted them!

Here goes...

This sloughed some and I found getting some flow over it helped.
60074-albums14227-picture68037.jpg

Fed some Phyto Feast Rotifers.

This pic I am SUPER proud of how beautiful these are, even though they are just the rusty orange ones!
60074-albums14227-picture68034.jpg

Can't remember if I posted this or not
60074-albums14227-picture68031.jpg

same rock different view
60074-albums14227-picture68029.jpg

Beautiful Autumn :) the colors are amazing.

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

Update time, not very good news, though everything will end up fine.

While moving something and trying to get a frag back to a spot I wanted it I bumped the Zoa rock with the green polyps and Eagle Eyes and 2 others. A rock fell on the end of it (maybe 1-2 polyps were hit) and it squirted out something into the water. After putting picking up the rock that fell I bumpd the Zoa rock again and it tipped over about 1/3 way forward but pretty much landed in a gap. I put it back, but evidently it was really pissed!

After moving things around (not wearing a glove for about 5 minutes- probably less) I noticed my hand was ever so slightly numb like if it was just about to fall asleep... Scary a little and made me think to wear gloves in the future. Washed up with soap and water a few times and it went away.

Next morning my Chalice was completely bleached as was my orange Scrolling Monti, all the Mushrooms were closed up and curled inside everything looked like gloom. Snails were heading up the side of the tank. I dipped everything I could save into extra Prime'd SW and put into the other tanks mostly the 15G with the bulldozer Sea Urchin (which caused a whole new set of problems!!!)

A week or so later decided to move the killer rock and its colony to my 6.6G glass only rimless Edge, with a air bubbler and a nano heater. Then was deciding if there was something to do about toxic Paly squirting problem. What to do with an evil cranky Zoa colony?

Then (can't remember if it was that night or the next)...
the clamp light tipped over during the night and fell into the water and although maybe didn't electrocute anything - it wasn't on, caused something to happen and everything was closing up and my new Mystic Sunset Monti bleached very pale, almost pink white but I put into the 15G asap and it seems like maybe it will live, it has a little more color now. I had just put it in to see if the tank was doing alright (after a couple additional pwc's)

So there is my disaster log of death and destruction for the last month. Pretty awful.

But today I cleaned it out completely - looks like the brand new pic in post #1 and will be putting on my Fluval Reef and Sea nano light.

And starting over again.

Will be putting in a bunch of dry rock I have had since I started this SW thing last summer to seed for the new 35G for the Clowns in the 15G. Then creating a new scape and planning on less errors.

Yikes! Rough go of it for sure! Keep us posted on the recovery progress.

Yeah
You can't make this stuff up. :/ staggering.

No shortage of drama with you, huh? ? Thats pretty scary with the numbness and all. I'd rather pet a big hairy spider. Keep this up and I'll send you some very long tongs. Hope things recover

Back
Top Bottom