Basic Set-up and Cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had an empty 5.5 gallon aquarium sitting around my house for a while, and since my only experience so far has been with freshwater, I was curious how difficult it would be to establish a small coral reef and possibly a crustacean cove in that tank (since I realize this is too small for most saltwater fish). Could somebody give me a basic run-down of what exactly I would need to successfully establish a saltwater environment in this tank? How often will I need to change the water in such a small aquarium? Are there any mechanisms I need besides a skimmer, heater, liverock and lights? And what is the minimum cost by which establishing this aquarium could be accomplished? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well for one you would not need a skimmer for that size tank. Partial water changes every week should be enough to keep your water good. For a tank that size tank you would need of course lights. A clip on LED would be fine, a heater, small powerhead, like 5lbs of live sand and same with live rock. It shouldn't take to long too cycle. Get a water filter, put in there like chemipure elite with filter media pad. You're probably looking around $75-$100 to start up

I agree with Frankie_garcia. I run a 4w LED made by Skkylite (look em up) on my 4gal tank. Either a 25w or a 50w heater will work perfect. A simple weekly water changes of about 20oz of water will be fine. Anywhere with 4lb or 5lb of live rock will suit it and place about 1 3/4" layer of live sand at the bottom. You will love the outcome on a small tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391821104.288336.jpg

Amazon has a LED light i just bought, has moonlights, and blue/white mode, and white mode. Really nice and gives off shimmer!!!

Back
Top Bottom