BC29... Saying goodbye to skimmer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I made the decision I'm going to see how it goes without running the skimmer on my BC29. Some of you know the tank and it's been up for 9 months and I can honestly say I never emptied the cup for any reason other then crystal clear saltwater. I'm just tired of trying to tune it and after I shut it off for water changes it seizes and I have I take it out and "jump start" it.

I'm thinking of switching to the inTank fuge and giving cheato another go, just waiting to see how my brother from the 22 Engine makes out.

I am running the inTank fuge in my BC29 and having a heck of a time keeping my chaeto alive. I have to admit though that my tank has only recently finished cycling and I still haven't put any fish in yet. So I am not sure my water has much in the way of nutrients to help feed the chaeto. I am running light on it now 24/7 instead of just during my off hours.

Yea I tried 4 times and couldn't keep it alive so I put the skimmer in it but TBH I think the skimmer in the BC29 is useless when doing 5 gallon water changes every Friday.

O.K., I'm butting in. You guys said some things that perked my curiosity. Number one. I am only changing 2 gallons every week on my 28. And my skimmer is skimming one gallon of very green water each week. The cup is very, very slimy green, which I clean with hot water and paper towels every couple of days. Does all this sound right?

Before I moved my Oceanic skimmer was doing a decent job of removing crude. I had seahorses and the multiple feedings per day of frozen made the skimmer a necessity to help remove excess nutrients. I did 5 gallon water changes every Sunday. My skimmer crude was brownish yuck but basically coated the inside of the cup.

Well, right now, I only have 2clowns and my CUC. So, we feed slightly every other night. My clowns are juvy's or I wouldn't feed that often. We throw in a couple of shrimp pellets for the CUC. I had a really bad green water problem in the beginning, but I'm at week 7, I think, not near a calendar, and the water is crystal clear, but I have brown hair algae on the sand, no big problem, I rake it with a fork and pull it out every couple of days. The water from the skimmer is still a dark green, though, and the green water ended more than two weeks ago.

All I can do is tell you my experience. I have the Tunze9002 in chamber 2 with the inTank upgraded cup, the tank had been up for 9 months and I have no crude, or skim nothing. I emptied it because it was filled with crystal clear sea water. I've adjusted it several times over the months an left it still nothing.

Also I notice every week when I do a water change it stops bubbling altogether and I have to take it out and kinda give it a pep talk to start again.

IMO after 9 months of water parameters being on the money and never getting build up in the skimmer it proven useless when doing 5 gallon water changes.

I'm going to test this theory out by NOT removing it but simply unplugging it for a little while and see what happens. All corals are doing very well and all live stock including my mandarin are all well.

I'll test and test and continue water changes and see what comes about.

image-224320570.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I wish you good luck and it sounds like you're right on the money. I still have a long way to go before I'm out of the woods with mine. It's still fun.

AquaTricia said:
Well, I wish you good luck and it sounds like you're right on the money. I still have a long way to go before I'm out of the woods with mine. It's still fun.

Patience is key in the saltwater hobby. I've been freshwater so long but went SW about 8 months ago. You'll be fine. If I can help in any way feel free to PM me. I offer up my experience thus far and what I've learned along the way :)

Have a wonderful weekend.

Thank you. Yeah, it is a matter of extreme pleasure and patience. I have been gone a week, my husband caring for the 4 freshwater and the new sw tank. I am very anxious to see my tanks. I called every night and asked if I had any deceased critters and he assured me they were all well and good. Am very anxious.

One thing I've noticed now without the skimmer is it sounds like the rapids in my bedroom now. Not that I'm complaining really, the sound is soothing. I just notice it more. I'm going with the fuge from inTank.

If I do a skimmer it will be in chamber 1 this time as the water level is more consistent.

Back
Top Bottom