Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best easiest way to start a 10 gallon nano reef?

Be been interested in getting a sw tank and I simply do not have the space for a large tank. I have a spare 10 that I'd like to make a nano tank out of. Any suggestions. I have experience with fw. Is it worth the time, $$ and effort for it??

Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes definitely if done right. But it is a lot more difficult to maintain a small tank. I suggest you do lots of research before you jump on it or you're gonna end up losing lots of money and then hate the hobby.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Agreed. This is why I started with a 30g with a sump. I can neglect it a few days. Once I get an ATO I might be able to neglect it for a week or two depending on evaporation. Any thing larger would make the tasks easier. This being said I'd still love to do a pico tank as well - as well as something larger than a 55g.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #4

I agree it's probably easier to maintain a larger aquarium. But stocking a large one can b pricey. Get some experience on a small 1 and u might decide to upgrade. Small ones r challenging. Especially before the tank matures. After several months it's not hard to maintain at all. But b prepared to spend a little time on it. They need ur constant vigilance for awhile. Do some reading. Decide what u want in the aquarium. Fish, corals, etc. Figure out the proper lighting, filtration, heater, substrate. Where ur going to get the water. U going to mix ur own or buy it from an LFS? I started my 1st nano by mixing my salt with store bought distilled water. I eventually got an RO/DI filter. These r all things u have to take into consideration. And have patience. Don't buy a big CUC , fish and corals all at once. Get 1 or 2 things at a time. Let them settle in a little before adding anything else. Good luck if u decide to do it

Tags
10 gallon, nano, nano reef, reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com