Bioballs Or Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbc14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 14 gallon biocube and have noticed that a lot of people opted to replace the bioballs in the center chamber with live rock. Do you think thats a good idea? And should i do it?

Ample live rock should be able to supply more than enough biological filtration. There is no need for bioballs in such a small tank.

LR rubble all the way! Also, I would suggest not using the sponges or any other media that came with the tank. LR rubble is all you need.

Good point Lando, about the sponges. Those are the first things that come out when I open the box!

In my nano I use a small bag of Chemi-pure and PURA fitlration pads that I change monthly.

I like purigen as it can be recharged and reused.

Ok, This is my master plan, tell me what you think, i am going to replace the biocube filter with purigen in a mesh bag(this is in the first compartment), then i am going to replace the Bioballs in the second compartment with LR rubble, then i wasn't really sure if i should replace the original pump in the third compartment or the sponge(which is blue)?

That's what I do, but I don't have any sponges in my filter.

That pump is designed to be there, I would leave it. You may want to have the LR rubble in the 1st compartment above the pump so the purigen won't have too much flow through it possibly causing it to break into smaller pieces....basically, give it a buffer zone. You can also smash up the rubble, the more surface area, the better.

Just to be clear (i know I'm slow). I should put the puriten in compartment one, have nothing in copartment 2 and have the pump and the LR rubble in copartment 3?

3 Compartments
picture.php

Compartment 1
picture.php

Compartment 2
picture.php

Compartment 3
picture.php

No you are not slow, I just misunderstood how the compartments are set up.
Compartment 1, purigen, #2 LR rubble, #3 leave it as it is.

Ok, now it makes complete sense. Thank you so much! When i finish the upgrades I'l let you know how everything goes.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom