Biocube 29 Beginner Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
So we put our deposit down on the Biocube 29 and will hopefully be.bringing it home in a couple weeks!
So - I've been looking at possibly adding the Lee's Protein Skimmer.
I would like to add some powerheads but thinking the Hydor's are almost too expensive? Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
Which Master Test Kit? Saltwater or Reef? (Yes gonna do corals - softies mostly probably...maybe some lps and maybe a bubble tip anemone of course all in good time)
Thinking of somewhere between 15-20 lbs LR/Base Rock combo and not sure what to use for substrate yet.
Gonna get a 100W heater and still deciding what to do with the filter chambers. Possibly refugium but slightly nervous about that endeavour.
Then as far as stocking - I'm really kinda unsure what I want. One occelarius clown - possibly two. Definitely a cleaner shrimp. And definitely a goby or blenny.
Don't really want any chromis ...would rather have something more colorful/interesting I think.
Thanks friends!!! I am sooo excited to get this thing under way!! I've been reading/researching for a couple months and I'm beyond excited to get things going!

Get intank's media basket and put in floss, purigen and chemipure elite. You can also get intank's fuge basket (which I did as well) for your fuge. You just need to add a light to the back of the tank for the fuge.

Get intank's media basket and put in floss, purigen and chemipure elite. You can also get intank's fuge basket (which I did as well) for your fuge. You just need to add a light to the back of the tank for the fuge.

I have a question about this....I have a 29 and on their site they have it split oceanic and coral life....does it matter which one I order? They should be the same correct?

I have a question about this....I have a 29 and on their site they have it split oceanic and coral life....does it matter which one I order? They should be the same correct?

No they are two diff brands..Oceanic is the older brand and Coralife is the newer upgraded brand

Get the coralife one. It has a hinged hood which is a huge plus. The chambers are different and they worked on the filtration and lighting.

Your still gonna want the inTank media rack, another power head and possible and upgraded pump.

Get the coralife one. It has a hinged hood which is a huge plus. The chambers are different and they worked on the filtration and lighting.

Your still gonna want the inTank media rack, another power head and possible and upgraded pump.

Convict! Yay huh? I'm super excited! Gonna start with a powerhead then upgrade pump later maybe. Only putting between 15-20lb LR so I can have some good flow.
Also considering a skimmer.
Super excited! Now what about stock?? ;)

Convict! Yay huh? I'm super excited! Gonna start with a powerhead then upgrade pump later maybe. Only putting between 15-20lb LR so I can have some good flow.
Also considering a skimmer.
Super excited! Now what about stock?? ;)

Well what do you like?

Cardinals
Clowns
Gobys
Six line wrasse
Hawk fish
Pistol shrimp

Just to name a few

Well what do you like?

Cardinals
Clowns
Gobys
Six line wrasse
Hawk fish
Pistol shrimp

Just to name a few

Definitely a cleaner shrimp and a clown.
Thinking maybe an algae blenny? Either way definitely a blenny or goby of some kind.
Maybe a dottyback? Or firefish?
Is there anything cool/unusual I could do? Boyfriend keeps asking about fish that either get too big or aren't reef safe. :-/
I just want lots of color and personality!

I love the wrasse jetting around the tank. But at knight you don't see much of him. They find a spot in the rocks and sleep.

Hey if I decided to get the Marineland Maxi-Jett powerhead/circulation pump...whats the difference in modes?

Hey if I decided to get the Marineland Maxi-Jett powerhead/circulation pump...whats the difference in modes?

Personally, I don't like the marineland circulation pumps. The suction cups give way periodically (and not infrequently) and then the big thin falls onto whatever you have below. I like the Aqueon powerheads- have never had one fall off the wall and they're about they're about the same price as marineland ones.

But if its being used as a circ pump it should be fine...if it does fall its not going far...but the tubeing is kinda shorter when connected to a maxi then with the coralife...idk why...

Back
Top Bottom