Biocube 29 first sw adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisbraz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all!

My name is Chris I've always had fw aquariums but now have made the switch to the sw world. After many years of contemplation light research to the last 6 months of buying books and reading review after review on equipment this is where I'm at...
I have a Biocube 29 that has now 25 lbs of live rock and 35 lbs of live sand (went a lil crazy with the sand lol) and newly acquired cycling shrimp from the local grocery store. I'm looking forward to what lies ahead as I have read alot of your threads and have been thankful for the info that I've read. Hopefully I've done enough homework for the time being and will continue to gain knowledge form AA. Hope to figure out how to post pics to show my lil slice of deep blue :-D

Congrats on the SW tank. It will clear up in no time. I'm new also to the hobby, key word is "patience".

Please post more pics as you go along !!! :) I'm looking at doing the same thing here in a few months ( making that huge jump into saltwater) so please post updates!!!!

Thanks! I know it's just some rocks and sand but i keep catching myself staring at it lol. And it's cleared up nice this morning.
And I will post more pics as it changes :) I have to get some epoxy and gel super glue?? I'm a lil skeptical about the super glue...does anyone know if it's a specific brand or type? Was gonna try the hardware store if its open have a few pieces of live rock that I have to set still. Appreciate all the help and comments!!!

Does anyone know how long I should leave this rotting shrimp in the tank? Lol :-/ holy crap this thing reeks!!! Lol

If the shrimp stinks too bad (a couple more weeks likely), you can switch to using pure ammonia from a hardware store. Before buying it, shake the bottle and check for bubbles. Bubbles indicate additives you dont want. If the pop right away (no bubbles) then you're good to go. You'll ghet a slight ammonia smell rather than a stinky shrimp.

The smell seemed to fade lol. I've been testing everyday to see it go through it's cycle...so I just leave the shrimp in there the whole cycle? Thanks for the help!!! :-D

Hehehe!! I remember that smell in my 30 gallons, My wife almost send off me out of my house with all my aquarium set up! ? But at the end it worth it!! You will see it.

Following. Keep us updated. I am also going to do 30 gallon in a few weeks.

Yea it was pretty bad the first couple days lol. And hopefully I'll be able to post some new pics soon with an addition or two :-D tanks actually almost done cycling...last nights test showed no ammonia, trites are almost zero and with a water change or two hoping the trates will be down too. Noticed a rusty looking color on my sand last night...I figure that's some sort of algae??

image-1338031829.jpg

So I get home today and I find this lil fella roaming around...anyone have any idea what it might be?

No idea ? Maybe some sort of sea slug ? ?? But look on the bright side !! It was free ? I'm looking into doing my first saltwater tank soon too with a coralife biocube so sorry I can't help !

Right?!?! Just hope it's not something that I don't want lmao!!! Also noticed what appears to be some sort of feather duster!!! Which I thought was the coolest thing! Could get a pic though. These cubes are awesome...best kinda aquarium for my situation having a small area, and have read so many good things about them I figured how could ya go wrong with this thing!

It is a stometella snail, they are a good part of the CUC. I like them since they usually aren't out during the day. I name all of mine roz like on monsters inc.

That's awesome!!! Thanks!!! I googled the name and that looks just like it! :)

Lol I was thinkin Roger for mine...had American Dad on the brain I guess lol

Back
Top Bottom