Biocube 29 start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bionewb 29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I'm new to saltwater and just set up a Biocube 29 HQI. Threw in some filtration modifications and a power head. Pretty much ready to get going. Any suggestions for the first few steps in terms of cycling and stocking? Using live sand and bio spira but no live rock. Any startup suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey guys. I'm new to saltwater and just set up a Biocube 29 HQI. Threw in some filtration modifications and a power head. Pretty much ready to get going. Any suggestions for the first few steps in terms of cycling and stocking? Using live sand and bio spira but no live rock. Any startup suggestions would be appreciated!

Welcome to the salty side! It's fun( algae excluded) I recommend dry rocks becuse no pest are in it. A pair of clowns or a 6 line wrasse would be cool, endless gobies or blennies too

Hi there, welcome. :)

I would highly suggest some rock, it will help with the filtration as well as give your fish a place to hide and hangout. As well as any inverts you may get.

If I use bio spira how long would I have to wait before adding livestock? Any coral suggestions? Obviously trying to create the most colorful and lively reef I can.

If I use bio spira how long would I have to wait before adding livestock? Any coral suggestions? Obviously trying to create the most colorful and lively reef I can.

I suggest mushrooms, there awesome low lights. I have no idea on the bio spurs though

From my experience, when I set up my Biocube I used cured live rock and never saw a cycle at all. in fact, I've upgraded to a bigger tank and saw the same results.

Are long nose hawk fish shrimp eaters?? I definitely want a goby/shrimp tag team but I don't want the shrimp in my tank to get nabbed

If its going to be a reef you need plenty of rock for sure! What will your corals sit on, where will the fish hide and as mentioned above will help with filtration...

Should I run my tank if the water is still cloudy? I just have live sand in there with dry rock. Planning on using bio spira too and that says my to run a skimmer for two days. When do you think I'll be able to add a fish with some inverts and corals?

You got yourself a test kit? If not, I highly recommend you do - when your water shows no traces of ammonia and nitrite its safe to add fish. How long has it been cloudy for? Was it because you added dry rock? Should only take a day to clear by itself

Added rock first then sand then water. Once the water clears and I add the biospira should I add a fish and inverts to help the process?

No, if it was me I wouldn't use the bio spira and just add a raw shrimp to cycle. Doing a fish in cycle for saltwater is not so common because A it can be harmful too fish and B saltwater fish are more expensive if you lose one in the cycle! Definitely get yourself a test kit, so you can monitor your water ad know when it's safe to add fish...

Just running a carbon media bag. Power head is on too

Back
Top Bottom