Biocube 29 with refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timebandit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so I have had my tank up and running for a year. And I just recently decided to or shall I say already put in in a refugium in my tank. I used about 5 pounds of live rock rock rubble along with some chaeto and a underwater light in the middle chamber of course. Well I decided to seed it with about 1000 pods and did this past weekend. Well here is my problem, I'm not seeing any pods in my tank. I have tried the flashlight trick and what not but have not had any luck. I removed the sponge from the 3rd chamber so the only thing I can think of is my hydor deflector is not letting them through maybe? And is removing the sponge necessary? I would like to keep it in if possible to keep debris out of the return pump.

Alright so I have had my tank up and running for a year. And I just recently decided to or shall I say already put in in a refugium in my tank. I used about 5 pounds of live rock rock rubble along with some chaeto and a underwater light in the middle chamber of course. Well I decided to seed it with about 1000 pods and did this past weekend. Well here is my problem, I'm not seeing any pods in my tank. I have tried the flashlight trick and what not but have not had any luck. I removed the sponge from the 3rd chamber so the only thing I can think of is my hydor deflector is not letting them through maybe? And is removing the sponge necessary? I would like to keep it in if possible to keep debris out of the return pump.

If you run a fuge in chamber 2 it is HIGHLY recommended to leave the sponge in place however I would toss that stock sponge and just use some cheap poly fill. Once it gets dirty you just toss it. The sponge you have to make sure you clean often as it becomes a nitrAte factory.

Your pods are there trust me. Add more if you want. Some add a small air stone in the fuge as well. I'm talking about the smallest one you can find. It helps also.

Don't give up yet. They are there. :D

Thanks convict was just a lil concerned they weren't coming through with my deflector on and was considering putting my loc line back in its place. I will put some poly filter in place in the 3rd chamber I was concerned about the pods maybe getting caught up in it. Guess I just have to be a lil more patient, just kind of alarming to spend that much money on pods and drop that many in and not see a darn one of them a couple days later.

Thanks convict was just a lil concerned they weren't coming through with my deflector on and was considering putting my loc line back in its place. I will put some poly filter in place in the 3rd chamber I was concerned about the pods maybe getting caught up in it. Guess I just have to be a lil more patient, just kind of alarming to spend that much money on pods and drop that many in and not see a darn one of them a couple days later.

Your welcome. You can also add in the dark, turn all your pumps off and add the pods right into your display tank. Leave for about 5 minutes. Give them time to hide in the rocks etc. then turn your pumps back on but keep lights off. I used this method and it worked as well.

Wait, if you do the fuge in chamber two, you should keep the sponge or floss there?

You really should keep something there. I was suggesting that the poly fill/poly floss would be better cause at water change time just toss it and add a new piece. The stock sponge IMO restricts flow and is a nitrAtes factory if not cleaned often.

You seeded this w the stuff out of a bottle or what?

Nah I used some amphipods and Copepods I bought online. I was gonna use those bottle tigger pods I believe they're called but I read conflicting things about whether they're for cold or warm water.

Hello I noticed you have a biocube.

Do you have a protein skimmer in yours?

I just purchased the one made for the biocube to put in my 14 gallon biocube and i am wondering if i wasted my money.

??? :confused:

Yeah I have the biocube skimmer but ended up taking it out cause it really wasn't collecting anything. Tried calibrating it moving it up and down and never had any luck. Some people have the more expensive skimmers and say they help but I personally think you would be fine with water changes evey week.

I'll just chime in. It is my STRONG opinion that you DO NOT need to run a skimmer on your bio cube 14,29 or other nano tanks like a 10 gallon etc...

Again this is just my opinion but I've ran my cube with and without and I see NO difference when doing weekly water changes.

I do 5 gallon water changes every Saturday.

I agree I don't think the skimmer makes much of a difference in such a small system. If you don't mind me asking you again, just to make sure. You advised me to use a piece of poly filter in the 3rd chamber wall instead of the sponge. Would pods be able to make it through the filter media still?

I agree I don't think the skimmer makes much of a difference in such a small system. If you don't mind me asking you again, just to make sure. You advised me to use a piece of poly filter in the 3rd chamber wall instead of the sponge. Would pods be able to make it through the filter media still?

With the sponge in or poly fill in your restricting them from making it in. Not saying non will but your limiting the amount.

The reason it's advised to have something in place is so you don't get macro algae or other debris from our fuge into your display.

No me, I never used anything in its place BUT I didn't have a fuge. I had live rock rubble and that was it. I would add the pods to either chamber 2 or my DT.

Yeah I have the biocube skimmer but ended up taking it out cause it really wasn't collecting anything. Tried calibrating it moving it up and down and never had any luck. Some people have the more expensive skimmers and say they help but I personally think you would be fine with water changes evey week.

Well I am doing the water changes every week anyway but I figured I would try out the skimmer.

I have gotten some brownish yellow water... but nothing real thick or clumpy. What should i be seeing in the collection cup?:blink:

Well I am doing the water changes every week anyway but I figured I would try out the skimmer.

I have gotten some brownish yellow water... but nothing real thick or clumpy. What should i be seeing in the collection cup?:blink:

That's about I ever got as well. Just brownish water.

Back
Top Bottom