Biocube 8 gallon build thread. First time need lots of pointers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chain stores will probably sell some brand of powerheads, but not koralias. If you go with another brand make sure it has a solid suction cup and mounts wherever you want in the tank. Some like the aquaclears are only adjustable in one direction, I'd stay away from those.

Less is sometimes more in that you have a less cluttered tank, more room for fish and inverts and corals. :) It's up to you how much rock you want. Its a good starting point to have 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon at least. I have over 40lbs in my 29g cube, but I've been debating if it looks too crowded, plus all the fish hide under the rock formations so I never hardly see them. LOl

Hmm the two pieces I want will sit in the back. There won't be room for the fish to get back there. the only thing is is i'm worried that the coral with grow out of the water. What should I do if that happens.

Just don't place them that high up in the tank. ;-) Most of the easy corals like mushrooms and corals like it on the sandbed just fine. Don't worry! You'll get it all straight when youre ready.

If you have ur rock leaning on the acrylic of your tank it might put on some stress on it. I wouldn't worry though, you are probably not getting a whole boatload of rock so... Also, sometimes you might find rock that is very porous and big for how much it weighs. For example, I ordered 100 lbs of Bulk Reef Supply Pukani Dry Rock for my 90 gallon display tank and I think I only need to use half of the amount I got! Personally, I like a more porous looking rock with lots of crevices for fish and inverts to hide in. The rock that looks manmade and looks like concrete will usually be very heavy.

This is the rock that I ordered. If it came as live rock, I would recommend it as your setup. I would recommend it anyway, but since you are leaning towards live rock... Just an idea. Heres the link.

BRS Pukani Dry Aquarium Eco Rock - English

I going to get two nice sized pieces and then if its too high I'll break it down from there. I also had another question, my lower intake vent is on the bottom right ( when your looking at it from the front). Will I get good filtration if there's live rock in front of it?

And another question should I put sand in the tank? And would that be bad for that filter. The intake vent is kinda low.

Yes you should put sand in it. You can get live sand if u want I think It's 20$ a bag which should be all you need. I would do live rock and live sand at the same time.

If you put sand in use the bowl trick, put a bowl or plate in the tank and pour the water into the palte so the sand doesnt cloud up as much. :)

also if ur worried with the sand getting in the filter, maybe a little filter sponge on it would help. just an idea

Will my filter intake be okay if it's behind rocks and such?

And should I wash the live sand like normal sand?

Also I'm thinking about buying the live rock tomorrow. The waters has been holding at 1.023.

rich6459 said:
Will my filter intake be okay if it's behind rocks and such?

And should I wash the live sand like normal sand?

Also I'm thinking about buying the live rock tomorrow. The waters has been holding at 1.023.

I'd say wash the sand

rich6459 said:
Is live sand the same as live rock? If so wouldn't washing it kill the bb in it?

Well you don't HAVE to it just gets a ton of gunk out of the sand. I have always done it.

Put a piece of pantyhose on the filter intake. Its good cuz when you stir up sand to clean, it won't get stuck in the filter impeller

the way the vent is it's the back wall, and there's slits in it. it's kinda like a house vent.

There is nothing wrong with adding the salt to the water in the tank at the stage you were at. It just wont be possible from this point forward. With nothing in the tank you didnt do any harm.

I'm thinking about buying the live rock tomorrow. The waters has been holding at 1.023. Think it's a go?

And i was thinking crusted coral instead of sand or like a mixture of both?

rich6459 said:
I'm thinking about buying the live rock tomorrow. The waters has been holding at 1.023. Think it's a go?

And i was thinking crusted coral instead of sand or like a mixture of both?

I would put a small bag of aragonite mixed with a handful of crushed coral. On my 75g, I put 6 bags aragonite, 2 bags crushed coral lol

You sure youre ready for the sand and rock? Got everything youre gonna need?

If you get "live" sand and wash it youve pretty much washed away the extra money you spent on it. Regular sand or CC I would def rinse as much as you can.

Carey beat me too it. If you wash live sand your wash away bb. Make sure your ready because once you put in sand and live rock you pretty much starting your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom