Biocube 8 gallon build thread. First time need lots of pointers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, welcome to the build thread.

I got the 8 gallon tank about two hours ago. I mixed a cup of salt to go in with it. And filled it up.

I want a pair of clown fish and maybe a pair of mudskippers ( the one that doesn't need air to breath.
Does that seem reasonable?

Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110719_231039.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_231039.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 409
  • ForumRunner_20110719_231100.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_231100.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 426
that tank is to small for a pair of clowns,and all mudskippers need air access

Hello,

As stated above, even a single clown wouldn't due in that size tank. Mudskippers need access to air and I believe they are brackish

Yeah, clowns really can't thrive in anything smaller than 20 gallons.

Hello,

No, not even a the smallest clown is small enough for a 8 gallon, not even a 10 gallon either.

You could have a goby and some inverts. Like shrimp and snails. :)

i would even say two tiny fish, and I mean small. Like a clown goby and maybe something else.

Thanks carey and everyone else. Do you guys think a one cup of salt for 8 gallons is enough? i have a feeling it's not, but i don't want to go through the roof.

get a hydrometer and test your water (they are easy to use) you wantit around 1.024 ideally but anywhere from 1.021-1.025 should work

Thanks, how long should I wait till adding the live rock?. And what kind of water should I get I hear people should get this ro water? Not really sure what that is, but I hear you should use it. Fill me in guys.

You can get ro/di water from your local fish store usually or from a machine outside a supermarket for like 30 cents a gallon. :)

You'll have a small tank so at least you don't have to lug around alot of jugs. But if you can def get the "special" water you will not regret it.

Better yet, get a refractometer if funds allow. Most hydrometers are really inaccurate compared to a calibrated refractometer.

If you have tap water in there now, I would strongly recommend just emptying the tank and starting over with RO/DI. Tap water usually leads to problems in a reef tank.

If you have a lfs you can always buy premix water. My store normally. Charges 1 buck a gallon. On Wednesday they have a wacky Wednesday sale where its 45 a gallon.

Okay okay, hmm I would still have to prime the water with stress coat right?

I posted a post about this earlier, I had bubbles floating around, and they were on the walls everythink. Now they're just floating everywhere. I know I just filled the tank up, but should they still be there?

If they are air bubbles from the water being poured in then they will just go away on their own my make sure to check the water level in your last chamber if it gets low your pump will suck air and blow bubbles.

Well I went to my lfs and got my water tested. I didn't add remotely enough. So I got a hydrometer and added more salt. Right now I'm holding at 1.022. My water is still kinda cloudy should I hold off from getting my live rock yet? Or should I let the water sit?

And yeah I'm going to do something like that. I really like the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom