Biocube light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFudge

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought my biocube 29 and the light was ridiculously bright... But now I turn it on and its like... Nothing.... I don't know... Ha I'm so confused. Someone help

What do u mean ridiculously bright? And also what do you mean by nothing? Is it not turning on sometimes? Those lights are supposed to basically simulate sunlight so they are going to be really bright to the human eye.. Lol
Bright is good. Bio cube stock lighting is pretty decent, the HQI is the way to go but its wayy to expensive for a nano reef IMO

Possibly one of the bulbs went out, while the lights are on lift the hood up and look, there are two bulbs, actinic and then like I guess regular sunlight/white light.

If the light was really really bright that's a perfect indication that it was about to die off. Those lights are notorious for getting really really bright before the end of there life cycle. Just replace the bulb.

It's the hqi lol I was just bein a little dumb... Apparently if you turn it off and try to turn it back on real quick, the bulb like shorts or something and won't work for like 5 minutes? Weird right? Ha but it's back to bright as de sun! Seriously, I don't even need a lamp anymore! Ha but I just got live rock and Fiji sand and the water settled and I love all the little things going on with the live rock, don't even need tv I can seriously just stare at this thing for hours... Ha it's right by my bed. Here's some pics. Plan on getting more as I go... I love the purple one

Attachments

• image-1873284315.jpg
    image-1873284315.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 129
  • image-3996307037.jpg
    image-3996307037.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image-3148324211.jpg
    image-3148324211.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 118
Be carful with those lights, they are not designed to be turned on and off like that, if the bulbs need to be replaced i would check online, better prices usually :)
Jelous btw, wanted the hqi was short $200 and bought a different one instead... Not sure why i didnt just wait

I definetly have a long way to go! Just had the rocks so close cause the water was cloudy for a while! This is my setup now. Again, just temporary

Attachments

• image-4141326762.jpg
    image-4141326762.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2522835616.jpg
    image-2522835616.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-993182248.jpg
    image-993182248.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 100
Looks good so far. You should start a build thread so the members can follow along. I'd like to see your progress. Good luck with it! An enjoy it!

I made the mistake of stressing sooooo bad when doing my tank I didn't have a chance to enjoy the process lol. I was always checking and double checking etc etc...

Are the HQI's Metal Halides? I'm curious as to how hot ur tank is when those suckers r on. Seems as though it would run hot unless there is an extremely efficient fan setup. They r nice though

I'm honestly not sure if they're metal hallides, but the fan is only on one side so the other side gets pretty hot, right now I just have my fan blowing on it. But the glass cover on top is great and I bought all these cheap see-thru colored glass slides from like craft store and if you put them on the glass it turns the water all different d/n time shades and it's awesome cause I got like every shade you could think of! And the refugium compartment is cool I got all this like green sea moss? Not sure what it's called but it's supposed to help my tank get going more quickly. Also got a few little crabs And snails and two cheap little fish and so far everything's doing great, I know I shouldn't have put anything in yet but I'm a very impatient person... Lol they're loving all the stuff on my live rock. So fun to watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I feel ur impatience. It may cost u in the long run unfortunately. Only then will u learn the lesson of patience. Hopefully u will prove me wrong. Think maybe the moss ur talking about is a macro algae. Cheato, I'm guessing. All the colored glass might look cool but it could possibly b detrimental to ur tank. Nothing wrong with experimenting though. If u have the money to spend on restocking ur tank while ur experimenting, well, more power to u. Good luck

Who would dare be mean :)

I think the OP is aware what hes done. Also to the OP about the lights, halides require time to warm up and cool down when shut off. If you have to shut them off waiting till the ballast cools and then turning them back on can help avoid problems. Im not sure of the science behind it as ive never cared to learn, only what i know from experience.

Thank you schism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom