Biocube temp problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wijames

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a biocube 14 with the stock filtration without the bio balls and added a 240 GPS circulation pump. It's all cycled and ready for fish but I can't seem o get the temps down under 81. I keep my house at 78 but the tank stays high and I'm not even using the lights yet. By the way I'm in Florida. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem but can't find any solutions or discussion on it. Any ideas?

Temp is probably just from the pump, I keep my house at 70 and my tank stays at 78 with the lights off. I'm also in florida

Is your lid closed if so this may keep some of your heat in try and have it opened for a few days to see if that lowers your temp

Temps

Is your lid closed if so this may keep some of your heat in try and have it opened for a few days to see if that lowers your temp

Actually I removed the feeding lid and it dropped almost a degree but it's still 80 and above.

My 72g bf stays at 80 and that's with an open top and wet/dry system along with my house staying at 77 degrees. I'm in Florida Also so the heat down here does suck . Do they make cooling fans for the bio cubes

No fans

No they don't make cooling fans but I'm in the process of making a couple to fit into the feeding cover. I'll post a picture after I finish them and let you know how they do.

The biocube stock acrylic lights comes with a cooling fan built into the lid. I'm surprised that the 14 gallon doesnt have the built in fan.

The biocube stock acrylic lights comes with a cooling fan built into the lid. I'm surprised that the 14 gallon doesnt have the built in fan.

Mine has the fans but they only run whilst the lights are on and I've found that they aren't strong enough to compensate for the light heat.

I've got a 28 gallon jbj hqi and man those lights are hot! I went and got 2 small clips and keep my whole lid open about an inch or so. Tank still runs on the hot side but it helps a little bit. I think consistency in temp is just as important. Temp fluctuations can cause just as much stress as water that is on the warmer side. :)

Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Cooling Fans

just a few more

I run a ceiling fan in my fish room and run it in reverse it seems to help pull the heat from the tanks

also if your tank has a sealed hood the heat can't escape

a lot of us use this type of top in the summer it helps a lot
attachment.php

Finally solved the heat problem

Well I finally solved my heat problem. I purchased a pair of 12 volt USB powered fans and covers and installed them in the feeding cover. I have them hooked up to a timer and run them during the hot part of the day to cool the tank down. It does add to the water loss but my fish are happier.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 78
Where did you find those? Also, what did it drop your temp to? Looks like a great set up!

Where did you find those? Also, what did it drop your temp to? Looks like a great set up!

I bought them on Amazon from the "Coolerguys". The fans were $13.00 and the covers were $1.95 for 2. I just used a hole saw and cut 1 3/4" holes and mounted them with stainless steel bolts bought from Home depot. My temps have been getting up to 81-82 during the day and yesterday they got down to 76.3 so I had to adjust the time the fans were running. They work really great. By the way, these are 50mm fans and covers and come pre wired with a USB plug which I use a IPad charger to power.

I will have to look at getting those... That is my temperature situation and sounds like a cost effective and simple fix. Thanks!!!

Looks great. I am having the same exact problem with my temp staying right around 81 - 82 degrees , up from a normal of right around 78.

I was able to scrounge a couple fans like that from my work as well as an AC adapter for the 12 volts.

Guess I know what my fish project of the night will be today.
Thanks for shareing.

Thanks again for the idea.

I have a little different setup since I have MH lighting and a one piece glass top ( oceanic bio-cube ) so I cut a plastic top to replace the glass and installed the fans in the plastic top closer to the back of it , propped the front open about an inch and it worked perfect. It dropped my temp. down to 79 degrees from 82.
Worked so good now I need to do it for freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom