Black Mine Sea Urchin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw one of these today at my LFS and they look awesome :p

Wondering if I could have one in my 10G nano?

If you are talking about a long spined urchin, they can get up to 8". I doubt they wuld get that big in captivity.

I would not recommend any urchin in any nanos , they tend to knock stuff over and can distroy an aquascaping and corals , they also eat coraline and in a nano that can be wiped out quite quickly even by one urchin ...

OK guys, they look cool but I'll pass on it. Thanks.

roka64 said:
If you are talking about a long spined urchin, they can get up to 8". I doubt they wuld get that big in captivity.

Diadema setosum can easily obtain 8" in captivity, regardless of display size. I wouldn't house them in a 10g unless they were to be transferred in the very near future; although, it'll keep your hands out of your tank ;)

What about clams? Could I get a couple of small ones (with the blue/green on them)? Do they require a lot of light/extra food?

Innovator said:
Diadema setosum can easily obtain 8" in captivity, regardless of display size.
Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Clams do require higher light and feeding which in a nano can foul the water quite quickly . And if not happy they will move ....

Back
Top Bottom