Blue chromis in a 20 gallon. Yes or no???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkfletch

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this is part 2 of my last thread.
I've got a 20 gallon SW that I'm wanting to stock with fish/invertebrate from the Florida Key's.
So far all I've got is a queen conch.
I'm thinking 2 peppermint shrimp for sure, but I wanted people's opinion on blue chromis and weather 3 would be suitable for a 20 gallon. Thanks!

They may kill each other off over time, and are downright mean. I would stick to 1 as you'll probably end up wanting another type of fish eventually. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whoop didn't see this thread. I answered in your other thread but basically I agree with bigred

Are chromis aggressive? I read that they're best kept in groups of 3 or more and in odd numbers... Have you had problems with then attacking each other in the past?

Very aggressive, and a school would probably work in a bigger tank, but in a 20 it would be tough IMO.

Very aggressive, and a school would probably work in a bigger tank, but in a 20 it would be tough IMO.

Towards each other. They tend to leave other fish alone for the most part but they tend to kill each other off

Towards each other. They tend to leave other fish alone for the most part but they tend to kill each other off

Thanks for clarifying I didn't make that clear :D

Ooh I see. I'll probably hold off on them until I'm ready to switch it over to the 55 gal. Idk when that will be... I'm just going to rethink the whole livestock for now... :/

How about the regular blue/green chromis? I started with 7 and so far I lost two but only cause they got lost in the overflow. lol

They all swim togehter and dont bother each other. Its true, alot of times the chromis will pick each other off til you have one BUT i have not had that happen this round or my previous round with the blue reef chromis. :)

The blue reef chromis I dont think would be a good fit because of how big they can get. I had them for a couple years and they got to like 3 inches long each. lol Had them in a 125g so it didnt matter. They also mated and bred one time for me, didnt get anyof the babies though, the eggs never hatched. :-(

Lots of good choices though for a 20g, check out liveaquaria and look at the nano fish section.

Back
Top Bottom