BlueVelvet Nudibranch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got mine this morning. Overnight express order. After being in my tank about 3 min. It went to work. I got home after being away for about 12 hr. and it was still eating. My Flatworm problem is being taken care of naturally. No chemicals or time consuming vacuuming. I don't even need a major water change because of the toxins released by massive FW die off. And I have a cool looking critter to boot.

Another thing about this slug that is interesting. They consume more than just flatworms. There's a type of algae that was growing around the base of my leather coral. He likes that as well. It's almost gone. This goes against everything I have read about it. I just wonder if anyone has noticed this before?

How much was it? And what are bad things use heard .. Im not familiar with them

Thanks slitherbomb. As for the other comment. He was only $20. But the store wouldn't ship for less than $30. So I had to buy $10 worth of snails. Add $35 for overnight shipping and theres the cost. Was it worth it? I'll let u know in a couple of weeks. If he finishes the job, I'm gonna say yes. If he dies. As I understand often happens. Then it will be money wasted. But he is doing an incredible job. He eats for a good 15 min. Then rests for a 1/2 hr. At night when I check on him, he never rests. Appears to be more nocturnal in nature

Why would they die? That's kinda expensive but looks insanely cool and taking care of the problem. :)

The reason they die often is that they run out of food. They have a very selective diet. When the food source runs out what does he eat then?

carey said:
The reason they die often is that they run out of food. They have a very selective diet. When the food source runs out what does he eat then?

Well between that and a few other things.They're pretty delicate and susceptible to changes in small things like ph, salinity, temp and apparently clown fish. The last of which I had to get rid of. Running out of flatworms is the way I'm hoping he'll go. But he also eats a particular type of algae that grows sparsely in my tank. I hope this will sustain him if and when he finishes the flatworms. Would be kind of weird to add flatworms just to keep him alive. But I've got people waiting to buy him as soon as I'm finished with it.

Just an update on this Nudi Slug. After being away a couple days, I've returned to find him alive and still chasing what's left of the FW infestation. Very few remaining. I'm sure they will continue to hatch and be around awhile longer. But he's doing a fantastic job.

Another update. I was just about ready to pass this critter on to someone else when I noticed a few more worms. I'm going to keep him a few more days. I figure the new ones I C are hatching. I may end up using FW Exit to eliminate any stragglers. That way he won't die slowly fm starvation. And it shouldn't be too toxic to my tank because there won't be a major FW die off

Last post on my awesome Nudibranch. FW free as far as I can tell, so tomorrow he goes to a new home. Hopefully 1 with many FW's. Highly recommend this critter for anyone who's tank has been over run by flatworms. I do have FW Exit standing by. Not just in case of a reemergence but also to dose any new corals before introducing them to my tank. Sure that's how I got them to begin with. Thanks LFS

That is great you loaning them out to others. I hope you never have to get him back.

Back
Top Bottom