Brittle star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-3282615282.jpg

So I found this little guy in my new (3 day old biocube). I think it's a brittle star, but I'm not sure? Last night it had legs and now they seem to have fallen off! What is that about? And is it actually a brittle star?

So I assume losing its legs means its reproducing? How quickly do they do this and should we remove some? We don't want to end up with too many!

Missy19 said:
So I assume losing its legs means its reproducing? How quickly do they do this and should we remove some? We don't want to end up with too many!

No, they just lose legs very easily, thus the name Brittle star.
You don't need to remove them, they hide in rocks and wherever they can, to grab food that goes by. They are a beneficial part of a CUC. My refugium is loaded with them, as are my rocks in the DT. All you usually see are little arms sticking out from everywhere, when I feed. I have hundreds of them. You can remove them if you want, but I don't see them as being a bad thing.

Yes they are awesome clean up crew members. They can clean places most CuC members cant reach. Very peaceful and beneficial little hitchhikers.

Back
Top Bottom