Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive been stiring the top of the sandbed then left it for a day then started stirring it again.what I cannot understand is that when LEDs are off the diatoms have gone.sand is now clear as I'm writing this

So if I leave sandbed and let's say diatoms go away when I stir sandbed again will diatoms come back?

No they shouldn't. Unless you have silicates trapped under then maybe. But that should only happen if you stir in large quantities. I would never recommend stirring the sand anyways. Some people do, but I've never found it useful.

Ok would you gravel vac it?,it's sugar fine sand carib sea not live sand though.i have nassarius snails and hermits but will that be enough or will I have to vac it.its only about 1 1/5 inches deep.

They will eventually go away once all the silicates are used up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks where are silicates coming from? Phosphates are reading 0ppm,nitrates are 5 ppm,I blow rocks with baster every other day into water column.tank is spotless I do regular maintenance and water changes only feed frozen food once a day draining juice etc...
How come when the lights are off the sand is clear?

Maybe from sifting the sand. Adding more live rock. Although diatoms aren't really algae, it still needs light and silicates and nitrates. Avoid disturbing your sand bed and keep nitrates down. They will eventually go away might come back when you add something new that may contain nutrients to support them

I wouldn't do anything to it unless there is detritus built up on it then I would light light vacuum it

Dont even mess with the sandbed. Leave that to the clean up crew. I have never touched my substrate in the 15+ yrs. Thr fish and cuc will take care of it.

That sand sifting star is going to starve to death in that tank. They really need a well established deep sand bed in a large tank to even come close to getting enough food.

As for the diatoms, they can pop up whenever, especially when there's excess nutrients in the water. We do need a pic to be sure though.
I agree, especially about the sand starfish. Those nassarius snails will also starve to death without meaty foods.

Back
Top Bottom