Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thechoof1968

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Brown algae on sansbed

Hi newbie here,have problem with my fluval m90 30 gallon tank
Stock 2 koralia 900 powerheads,stock 1200 lph return,stock 2800 lph pump total 5800 lph.temperature 75 degrees,ph 8.0,nitrates 5ppm,ammonia 0ppm,nitrite 0ppm,phos around 0.1 I think is higher using api test kit,calcium 465,magnesium 1365,I have carib sea sugar fine sand around 1.5 inches deep but I am having problems with brown algae,if I sift the top within hours it's back again.i have stock led lighting which is 35 watts in total which I run for 6 hours a day. Now brown algae is on pumps and cable as well

Just added phosban 150 reactor with rowaphos,tunze 9002 skimmer,filter floss,purigen

STOCK
6 chromis
2 clown fish
1 royal gramma
1 blue checked gobie
1 sand sifting star fish (new)
3 turbo snails
10 hermit crabs
5 nassarius snails
2 cerith snails

Snails love it! Had some on my rocks and glass before, goes away on it's own and with help of snails / otos..

Actually I see that you said it's three months old, so maybe not. Can you post a picture?

And also, it is against the forum rules to post threads in different sections about the same thing. If you're not getting the information you need, try adding more detail or post a picture.

I have 30 lbs carib sea sugar fine sound not live sand sift it over night looks great then when lights come on it goes brown.i will post pics tomorrow

Sorry new to all this.as stated I will try and post pic tomorrow after the lights come on.you can see a difference after 45 minutes or so.ive cut back feeding to once a day and I am running phosban 150 reactor with rowaphos

Sorry new to all this.as stated I will try and post pic tomorrow after the lights come on.you can see a difference after 45 minutes or so.ive cut back feeding to once a day and I am running phosban 150 reactor with rowaphos
Oh that's okay! It's not an issue, I was just warning you so it wouldn't become a problem later :)

And also, you do not have to feed even once a day. I usually feed twice a week. It's more natural, and also cuts back on nutrients in the water.

What do you feed frozen?,I'm using pellets and frozen mysis and frozen brine shrimp which I rinse off.i was feeding pellets 2 times a day and frozen all in small doses

That sand sifting star is going to starve to death in that tank. They really need a well established deep sand bed in a large tank to even come close to getting enough food.

As for the diatoms, they can pop up whenever, especially when there's excess nutrients in the water. We do need a pic to be sure though.

Actually I see that you said it's three months old, so maybe not. Can you post a picture? And also, it is against the forum rules to post threads in different sections about the same thing. If you're not getting the information you need, try adding more detail or post a picture.

image-3212019280.jpg

Picture of sandbed

Attachments

• image-131699055.jpg
    image-131699055.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 68
Actually I see that you said it's three months old, so maybe not. Can you post a picture? And also, it is against the forum rules to post threads in different sections about the same thing. If you're not getting the information you need, try adding more detail or post a picture.

image-3918424357.jpg

Right after my LEDs have gone out around 1 1/2 hours later my sandbed is spotless like new?ivejust bought new salifert phosphate kit and it says my phosphates are 0.
When I turn LEDs back on after around 30 minutes sand goes brown again in patches which you can see in pictured.lights are on 6 hours a day then off for 18 hours.spectrum is 25000k as it's the fluval m90 tank.if I sift the bed the brown diatom/ algae returns.im going to leave sandbed and see what happens.the tank is now 3 months old could it be the lights?i have enough flow,phosban reactor,skimmer seems strange that the algae goes when the lights are off any suggestions?

Are you using tap water at all?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom