Building a nano with built in over flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a project converting one of my old 10 gallons into a nano with a built in overflow. here is the progress so far. I have to wait for the partition to dry in place before I can finish it.

Attachments

• sunp0001_200.jpg
    sunp0001_200.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
  • sunp0002_165.jpg
    sunp0002_165.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 42
  • sunp0003_956.jpg
    sunp0003_956.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 40
  • sunp0004_935.jpg
    sunp0004_935.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 45
  • sunp0005_122.jpg
    sunp0005_122.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 59
Nice! A little 10 gal RR. I got to see a picture of this thing up and running thats crazy! What type of corals thinking about doing, or just one big showpiece in the middle?

I'm just going to do some mushrooms, yellow polyps and zoanthids. I was going to drill the tank for a sump, but now I think I'm just going to set it up as an internal sump and fuge, run the pump to opposite ends of the tank with a T and that way have no ugly powerheads, bes of all the skimmer will fit into my internal sump and stick out a hole in the hood, which looks really slick. I'm putting the baffles into the sump next and then cut slots for the overflow end. I just wish I could have gotten smoked glass to put in between the tank and sump to keep the sump from getting too much light. If it gets too bad I'll figure something out.

The partition is it glass or plexi, because you can get the smoked plexi from the lhs?

update on progress. I leak tested and patched everything cut the teeth for overflow into the skimmer area and installed the skimmer. I'm working on the pump setup still. I also smoked up the main partition with a steel scrubbing pad but that doesn't really show in the photo.

Attachments

• slots_cut_skimmer_installed._184.jpg
    slots_cut_skimmer_installed._184.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 44
yeah I've shelved this project for a while. I got such a great deal on a complete 55gallon setup that this is on a back burner.

Looks great! Awsome idea!

With the skimmer in the internal sump, I hope you dont have to much problems with bubbles flowing back into the main.

I'll have no problems with the bubbles because of the skimmers design. it is only air driven, which means that the water is only pushed as fast as the bubbles and it would take alot of air to drive bubbles out of that skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom