Buying a pico reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to buy a pico reef tank soon and I want to know if there are any good ones that are the best bang for your buck. I am thinking around the 4-5 gallon range.

I also have questions like would I have to buy water for it, how often would I do water changes, and could I get the water from the ocean? I have never kept saltwater before. Sorry dont mean to bump.

If you've never kept a saltwater tank DO NOT Start with a 5g tank. The small the harder in saltwater. I would reccomdend a 55 for a starting tank, although the biocube 29 works well. Keeping parameters in check in a small tank takes a lot of work and devotion. You can't slack off for a few weeks like you can with freshwater or you will have disaster

My tank is 9 gallons and I test every 2 days so far it has been pretty good except my salinity is a bit higher than I'd like

I've never had a fish tank before. I started with a 5 gallon reef. I tested everyday for like 3 weeks when I first got it. Things did fluctuate a good amount back then. Now I'm 2 months in and I test like once a week. Haven't had any problems so far. If you are dead set on a small tank, just go buy a standard 5 gallon tank. Your filtration is rock or sand so you won't necessarily need a fancy set up. As for lights, nothing will be reef ready. You will have to buy that separate anyways. So you will need:

Tank- Petco is doing there 1gallon=$1 sale right now

Heater 50-100w maybe, just look around

Power head - I have the Hydor nano Koralia 240

Light- I recommend a par 38

Then just rock.

Just FYI though, I'm only 2 months in and my tank is full. I have no more room for coral. I'm already considering a 55 gal within this next week. Not to mention you shouldn't do any fish in a 5 gallon. Maybe can get away with a panda. Just food for thought.

Okay thanks guys! A little bummed but glad you told me before I went out and bought one.

I kept freshwater for awhile and I switched over to saltwater with a 20 gallon tank. Its doable in a smaller tank but like the others said you have to stay on top of your maintenance. Also don't be bummed because it's too much fun to get bummed about. I started small with my first saltwater tank because of money issues lol butbi would love yo upgrade my 90 fresh to salt sometime soon

Back
Top Bottom