Camescu's Edge Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been doing some research around light spectrum and zoas/mushrooms. If I'm not mistaken I'm looking for some blue spectrum at circa 450nm.

I plan on keeping just softies so can anyone recommend nano lighting units for this purpose. Something on the Limey side of the pond would be appreciated if poss ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

look up par38 bulbs, they arent to badly priced and could grow alot of corals (not just softies) but would definitely work for softies too.

Yeah. I've been on the look out. Ideally something that I can mod and fit into the hood of a Fluval edge. But over her there is little talk of par ratings that I can find. Perhaps internet purchasing is the way forward.

Par bulbs are way different from LEDs yeah?

I suppose I could fit a par38 bulb into a standard desk lamp and point it at the tank?

Obviously would need to make sure connection size matched.

par38's use the same standard bulb screw in, just like a normal lightbulb. that is what i have and have a walmart desk lamp holding it above the tank

Cheers. I understand i will need a blue spectrum heading towards 10,000k rating?

to be honest im not sure on spectrums, i just know what lights work (par38, chinese panels, etc.) some more lighting savvy people will hopefully chime in.

Thanks Matty. It sounds like you are a getting results anyway with a par38, so maybe I am overthinking the spectrum thing. My curiosity would like to bottom out the spectrum issue though haha. Yeah. Hopefully someone in the know will shout up.

Ta. I'm already following ;)

Cheers. I understand i will need a blue spectrum heading towards 10,000k rating?

10,000k is actually pretty white for a reef tank. If you like the blue look look for something in the 20,000k range if you like a mix of the 2 look for something in the 14,000k range.

Cheers. A mix of the two sounds good. It's more that I know zoa's prefer blue.

Sent from my XT1021 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The weirdest thing happened.

I have 2 Halloween hermits in the edge now. Last night I came to see them and one of them had been murdered
, and chopped up. So I moved the adjacent shells to remove the corpse.
Within a minute, both shells scuttled away. Could one shell have been housing 2 Halloweens? For nearly 3 weeks?

Sent from my XT1021 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like a molt, and then the hermit switched shells. And no 2 hermits won't share a shell

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom