Camescu's Edge Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after dragging my feet for a year I have finally decided to take the plunge and join the salty side.

After shutting down the shrimp tank I have decided to start a nano reef in a 23L edge. Its a slow project (as it should be) so updates as they happen.

For now I have the live rock cycling.

So. I'm early into the cycle and have noticed a few hitchhikers. A few feather dusters (v small) some opaque looking tentacles and a snail.

Sent from my XT1021 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Snail

Attachments

• 1413448507268.jpg
    1413448507268.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 95
Incidentally, is this the right subforum for advise or is the getting started one better for feedback? I haven't ventured from the freshwater sections too much so still a noob over here.

What kinda advise/feedback you looking for? It seems like a good start and that is a stomatella snail.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the id. Advice wise, anything really. I'm new to salt and starting with an ambitious project (being so small).

Next steps as I see it

* get testing kit. Looking at Red Sea Reef kit.

* making a mod to the ac20 filter turning it into a nano refugium.

I love those fluval edge tanks. I was always afraid of nanos however. A small mishap is big in a tiny tank.
Are you looking to add corals down the road?

Yeah. Atm I am starting to research lighting including wavelengths etc. I'll probs look at Zoa and mushrooms.

And yeah. I know I could screw up v easily. But if I can master nano I can do anything.

First play around with the refractometer last night. Got a reading of 1:012 if memory serves me right.

Sorry. That was a typo. It was 1.022 not .012

A couple of weeks in and I have nitrates. WCs to bring them down.

A couple of questions though.

Of all the hitchhikers (and there are plenty) I am u able to identify a bug or two

1. A small black and white bug that was too fast to photo. Looked like it had a single pod shape. About a cm in length

2. Loads of tiny tiny white/opaque critters running over the heater and glass. 1mm Max.

Any ideas?

Also, am I the only person who struggles to differentiate between colours on the red sea pH test?

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

I'd love to but after the Mrs put my phone on a 40c wash my new handset is a shocker for pics. It won't capture them sadly.

Testing update

Ammonia trace amounts and nitrates are high. I assume water changes are the way to go to reduce those though.

Could do with raising pH a bit. It's coming in at 7.6

Whilst waiting for the cycle to complete, I'm researching lights and wavelength for softies.

Thanks. Will do. Got an aquaclear 20 running.

I've been doing some research around light spectrum and zoas/mushrooms. If I'm not mistaken I'm looking for some blue spectrum at circa 450nm.

I plan on keeping just softies so can anyone recommend nano lighting units for this purpose. Something on the Limey side of the pond would be appreciated if poss ;)

Back
Top Bottom