Can’t find blue legged crab anywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

febrocky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About a year ago I introduced a small blue legged crab to my tank. It was a bother to say the least. It killed plants that I had growing and it even killed one of my snails. Anyways it was always shy when I’d walk towards the tank and it liked to hide but I would always be able to notice it from across the room climbing on the live rock or on the sand bed. It used to climb a lot. Mostly on a tube I had starting at the bottom of the tank and going up and out of the tank for an air stone. Now I can’t find the crab anywhere and the air tube and tall plants are gone so there’s nothing to climb but is is possible it escaped? My tank ammonia levels are 0 so I don’t think it’s dead in the tank. I’ve shined a light on the LR and I see no trace of the crab. No shell or anything. But I also don’t think it got out of the tank and died somewhere because I don’t smell anything foul in my house. Is it possible the crab just comes out at night and is a really good hider? No idea what’s going on so any advice would be appreciated!

It probably died. A small crab like that shouldn’t spike parameters in an established tank if it died.

So should I move around some live rock to check things out? I see no trace of the crab, even the shell. Maybe it got stuck in some rocks, I just don’t want the decaying crab to crash my tank; it’s a 15 gallon tank

You’ve described everything that a hermit crab does. Eat plants and algae and hunt for larger shells.
These hermits don’t have the longest life spans and if has been gone for awhile is most likely dead. Not a real problem.

Mine switch shells all the time if there aren’t a bunch in your tank I assume it probably just crawled out and died shells probably in the liverock somewhere

Back
Top Bottom