cant get skimmer tuned in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad.Sedore

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im having alot of trouble with my biocube skimmer. ive been trying to dial it in for a week now. every time i get it perfect i close the back.. check back in about an hour and its filled with water.... anyone have any suggestions for this?

-Brad

Skimmers need to break in a little - basically slime all of the plumbing over. I'm still trying to get mine dialed in too

so should i just empty all the water out into the drain... obvouisly not back into the tank... then try again?

-Brad

We have several nanos in our house and a debate over skimmers in them. How big is your biocube? What skimmer are you using?

mines the 29 gallon. its the one made by oceanic (the skimmer). it picks the crap up pretty good... at least from what i know... but then it fills with water shortly there after

I have the Oceonic 29 biocube tank. Am I assuming that you have the custom made protein skimmer that fits directly in the sump? Sells for about $170 (SR3 I think it's called?) Or do you have the model that is tube shaped that fits in a compartment and is attached by suction cups? Or there is a HOB model? Sorry for all the questions but it makes a difference in how they adjust/work. By the way, when I switched from the 24 JBJ nano (tank cracked all the way down one side - defect) to Oceanic 29, I gave up the skimmer and went to live rock rubble. Running since June and so far, beautiful water quality.

no no. it cost like 60 bucks. fits in chamber 1 with hangers not cups. i have live rock rubble under it and in chamber 2. and a piece of screen that goes over the pump... just in case i need to seperate some fish .. hopefully it will work good..

-Brad

Hmmm. Does it have an adjustment or air line that needs to stay above your water level? Mine attached by suction cups and had a small air line. You needed to adjust it so that it was at a certain point in the water so I got the foam like bubbles in the top container to show that it was working properly. The problem with protein skimmers in nanos (IMO) is that because of evaporation, you have to constantly dink with them to keep them at the right water level. My 29 bio is in my classroom where it is pretty warm as a rule, so I have a fair amount of evaporation.

If you are filling with water, it sounds like yours is too low. Or, when you top off, you need to raise the skimmer. Do the clips/hangers allow you to do that?

If you are handy, and enjoy doing that sort of thing, there are all kinds of DIY threads out there on people who have converted their Oceanic 29 sump areas to a refugium with macro, live rock and lights (somehow fit into the hoods). I don't want to mess with my hood and my water quality has been great. But, it's another option if you are interested.

One other idea, if room allows, add a sump. My son has a sump for his 12 gallon nano. Sump is bigger than the nano but that's a whole other story.

tomorow ill try replacing the air line with a longer piece so i can acutally keep it above water... it just bubbles right now out of the adjustment. the hanger doesnt allow you to move it up or down... nor does space really.

my idea for chamber 3 is to put a screen in... drill some holes to make sure it keeps a high level. and have some live rock that i can move out of there if a fish needs to be speorated in a emeregency

-Brad

I would think that extending your air line to keep it out of the water may solve your problem. Lots of interesting reading on mods for this tank and what people have done with the chambers. One of these days, I'll get my pictures up. Mine is coming along nicely although 1 clown fish mysteriously disappeared a couple weeks ago. I suspect he pulled a "Nemo" and I didn't find him in time. I swear the other clown looks lonely.

Back
Top Bottom