ChizerBunoi - 24G JBJ Nano Cube reef journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ricordia
IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

Leather Corals
IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

Kenya Tree - Still adapting
IMG_2520.jpg

Sun Coral
IMG_2509.jpg

Chizer and Bunoi
IMG_2473.jpg

They started hosting in the Green Star Polyps, but I can never get a proper shot of them. They constantly run away whenever I come near the tank. They just look so lazy when they host in it.

Are you talking to me?
IMG_2475.jpg

As for our 6 year old parents, they are still laying their eggs. They now produce double the eggs and don't eat their babies until the day before they need to lay more eggs.
IMG_2524.jpg

Actually some fry become free swimming. I have been dosing rotifiers in daily but I doubt the babies will survive. Only time will tell.

And for those who have been PM me about my setup. I do not run a protein skimmer, carbon, purigen or chateo. I don't dose any additives and just do weekly water changes of 15%. I also run regular tap water. I had an algae outbreak because my tank is next to a NE facing window and I drained it entirely to move it to its new location.

We'll it's been a little while since I have posted in my journal. Quite a few changes have been made.

The most wonderful kids went for a walk in my backyard.

Ducks-Walking.jpg

Here is a picture of the tank as it stands today. The tank is setup in my library and I work from home two days a week. It's kind of distracting really as I spend a lot of time watching the tank instead of the computer screen. :p Please note that I was lazy and didn't clean the glass so the pictures are not at their best.

IMG_2651.jpg

Full Tank Shot - I had to use flash or else all you would see is my reflection.

I finally got to changing that super old light bulb and went with a Ushio 20K. The color is more blue/purple and I'm loving it.

IMG_2653.jpg

We'll summer sucks when you have metal halides. My tank is on the second floor facing north and the temperature is uncontrollable. I had to go open top and add on this super noisy fan. This fan is from Azzo and runs on the same timer as the lights. The tank can swing from 28 degrees celsius to 21 degrees in a day. My corals must hate me. I think I'll pick up another timer and have it go on and off every 15 minutes instead while the lights are on. I definetely won't be purchasing another metal halide fixture. T5HO are where it's at.

The other bad thing about running open top is that you have to top off the tank every day. Especially with the fans, I have to add in about 12 cups of water each day. When I had the glass tops on, I barely had to add any water. Maybe 4 cups at the end of the week.

IMG_2672.jpg

Okay time for some coral images.

Suncoral - I feed these polyps new life spectrum pellets and some meaty frozen food on occasion. This coral is so time consuming. It is so beautiful but I don't recommend it if you don't want to devote the time to feeding it.

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Bubble Tip Anemone - Remember how it had split into two. BTW, they look weird because they are eating some silversides.

IMG_2556.jpg

Yummm, garrraaaah....

IMG_2592.jpg

The smaller one at the bottom decided to split again.

IMG_2662.jpg

Can you spot the other half? It's under the monti and behind the Toadstool/Leather coral.

IMG_2663.jpg

Torch Coral - Yes I like the wavey corals a lot. Everytime I see a waving coral, I have to pick it up.

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

At this moment, this is my favorite coral.

Open Brain

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

It got so big that I had to move it into a cave. It actually seems to like the cave even more.

IMG_2660.jpg

Long Tentacle Purple Plate Coral - This coral is rare in my city. Our local fish stores don't often get the purple tip varieties in. Also, they charge a premium for them.

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

See that mouth in the middle?

IMG_2686.jpg

Let's feed it some silversides also.

IMG_2580.jpg

30 minutes later....

IMG_2626.jpg

boy does it ever eat slow.

IMG_2630.jpg

More to come later.

Very nice coral looks loverly. could you post an updated full tank shot please. How's the clowns spawning going any closer too raising any?

PUlsing Xenia - Of all the corals I have, this is one of the hardest ones to grow in my tank. Still just the one stalk.

At least it likes to pulse which is much nicer than other corals.

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

Frogspawn - Eventually I will rescape the tank and have the heads pointed up instead of sideways.

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

Taken from top down.

IMG_2676.jpg

Hammer Coral

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

Do you remember I had all types of algae growing at one point? We'll only these two are left. Can anyone identify them?

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

Chizer & Bunoi update

Remember I had added this Kenya tree?

IMG_2688.jpg

They are constantly hosting in it. It's funny actually because you never see them out of the tree unless they want to eat. They often find a branch and perch inside of it. If you ever get a chance to watch your clown fish at night, it's pretty cool to see how they sleep.

Of course they always run away when the camera comes out. This was the best I could do at the time.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

As for our young parents, I caught a glimpse of those 2 or 3 fry swimming around. They are about 2 months old now but are only the size of new born endlers. There is so much life in this tank that I really think they will make it.

IMG_2690.jpg

Stop taking pictures of me and fix our temperature issue.

IMG_2689.jpg

Okay BOSS! I have ordered a Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite controller. Also, I will now be dosing a part calcium/alkalinity by ESV B-Ionic. These LPS are robbing the purple coraline algae from my rock.

We'll since the fry are alive, I started dosing in live rotifiers every couple of days. I also threw in a bunch of brine shrimp eggs into the sump. Don't know if they hatched or not though.

For filter feeders, they will also benefit from a frequent spray off of your live rocks at night. Just take a turkey baster and spray all the crude off the live rocks. The corals will eat at that time too. I have been thinking of purchasing a Vortech MP10 just to have it automatically do this for me at night.

As for the LPS corals, I feed all sorts of frozen food. Mostly silversides once a week though.

Well it has been a while since I updated the post. Lets see if I can update this over the next several days.

August photos.

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

Back
Top Bottom