Choosing new led lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NyReefer

Aquarium Advice Activist
So for my biocube 29 I'm planning on buying a new light pretty soon! I'm either looking at the kessil a160 setup or the maxspect razor nano. If anyone else knows of a good light let me know!

NYReefer

Kessil a160 :D! I love mine over my 20, tank is sps dominated. Phenomenal shimmer and color.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So for my biocube 29 I'm planning on buying a new light pretty soon! I'm either looking at the kessil a160 setup or the maxspect razor nano. If anyone else knows of a good light let me know!

NYReefer

I am not sure if Fluval make a Performance LED for Marine tanks. If they do take a good look at it. I have fresh water tanks and have them on both tanks. A little expensive but at least in fresh water the plants grow like mad.

I am not sure if Fluval make a Performance LED for Marine tanks. If they do take a good look at it. I have fresh water tanks and have them on both tanks. A little expensive but at least in fresh water the plants grow like mad.

The fluval lights are crap for sw, no offense as I'm sure they do work great for plants :). They under drive the LEDs, running them at less than a watt each. I'd rather get a kessil or maxspect razr for a little more money and have a controllable light.

Know that you mentioned it I did hear that the spectrum of the Fluval is not good for marine tanks. I remember the names that you just said. My wife has orchids and African violets and she has leds made just for plants. A buddy of mine has a Aquaponic grow shop. He has some great and expensive less. Again not good for fish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423088911.882356.jpg
I may get this light it's not to expensive and has great reviews! And it is Dimmable!!!

NYReefer

NyReefer. Think about this before you buy. Are you ever going to dim the lights on your aquarium?. I have a switch to just put on blue leds. I used it when I first got the lights. But-now I just shut off the lights. I am a person that goes more for quality. Just another idea.

NyReefer. Think about this before you buy. Are you ever going to dim the lights on your aquarium?. I have a switch to just put on blue leds. I used it when I first got the lights. But-now I just shut off the lights. I am a person that goes more for quality. Just another idea.

Actually, being able to change the intensity of lighting over a reef tank is very important. It takes time to acclimate corals to new lighting. Some corals can't tolerate intense lighting that others require to simply survive. LEDs penetrate water very effectively, making it very important to acclimate corals to your lighting. A simple dimmer on a unit such as this makes it quite important. Other lighting systems have made their own solutions to this, an example would be the 'acclimation mode' that can be turned on for Ecotech's Radions where you can tell them how long you want to acclimate for and what intensity % you want to start out on as it slowly works its way back up to where you normal lighting schedule is.

These lights actual have an acclimation process as well! They're very comparable to more high end lights. I'm really considering them!

NYReefer

Interesting. As you can see I am a fresh water keeper. But always interested in learning. There is an Aquarium store that has drop lights for there tanks. They said they are programable. They also have a tank that has the sun going up and down. I saw that on the tv show Tanked. Maybe you can tell me. I have read a book on Marine tanks. In that book they had just like fresh water you need to cycle the tank. Now I just set up a new fresh tank and I am cycling it now. I use a tank cycler with a few fish. When Tanks does it they set the whole tank up and add fish right away. Granted they are not using live rock or coral. But still they must lose a lot of fish. Some of those fish are very expensive. Is that program true? Thanks Jeff

Mr_x I saw that fixture to but I don't think it's Dimmable? And 165w on 30 gallons might be a little over kill I think right?

NYReefer

Mr_x I saw that fixture to but I don't think it's Dimmable? And 165w on 30 gallons might be a little over kill I think right?

NYReefer

It's dimmable, and no because it's dimmable ;)

That makes sense! Lol hmm so maybe I'll but that one. I would just need to figure out a way to hang it without doing it from the ceiling. I'll probably just make a bracket of some sort

NYReefer

Yes, you could use a plant hanger and hang it from the wall behind, or fasten something to the stand...

Just make an "L" shaped bracket mount one side on wall. And have the other pointing to the middle of the tank and suspend it from there works great IMO. Good luck! Reef happy

Back
Top Bottom