Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveness123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. I have a 10g/40 liter tank that's been running 2 months now I finally finished my 20 liter sump and fitted it all in but to my shock the water went cloudy in the DT but not in the sump. I've since removed the sump incase it was anything to do with that but IRS got worse.

All my parameters are where they should be and nothing is dead (my three hermit crabs) just the water is cloudy. If anyone could help me that would be really nice because im stuck.

Sent from my ST26i using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Silly phone I mean it's got worse since I removed the sump.

Just a side note there's no direct sunlight hitting the tank and the lights come on for 10 hours a day

1 are you using GFO and Carbon if not you need 2

2 the next thing that helps is uv but dont run it all day on my tank i use it about 20 min a day

3 do water change but not so much to avoid mini cycle

Last edited by a moderator:
Post some pictures of your tank and add the sump it has nothing to do with it and it can help your tank.

My phone isn't picking up the cloudyness properly

Attachments

• 1389393288098.jpg
    1389393288098.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 64
I've got a big bag of carbon in the sump. I've got a massive brown diatom bloom aswell would that be the culprit? Thanks for the help by the way.

From what i know and what youve said in your posts im almost certain its a bacterial bloom and will rectify itself in time. Theres obviously something either in the water, sand or rocks that the bacteria is feeding off. A Bacterial bloom is usually the hetero bacterial and when the bacteria in the tank multiplies at a high rate and in enough numbers they can cloud the water and are especially common in new tanks.

The hetero bacterial are almost always the culprit. Water changes, over feeding and adding other mineral substances can cause a bloom where excess nutrients are introduced.

Imo its probably something coming from the rocks or sand. As water change induced blooms clear up in afew hours, because yours has lasted days already im counting that out. Keep the tank airrated as they zap oxygen out of the water but other than that i wouldnt worry.

So you cycled the tank before adding the crabs?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Just put in an air stone? I've just got back from work to find clearer then when I left. There seems to be more life everywhere aswell like on the glass where the algae is there tiny tiny little worms eating it

Back
Top Bottom