Clown fish fight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will def take pics of the lr and hope I don't get thrown out for taking pics of his shop :) lol

Hey guys sorry was busy getting the live rock set up... Will post them asap... The live rock is great... My anemone seem to love it too... :)

Hi guys now that I have my live rock in the tank does this mean I can remove the bio balls from my filtration?

You may want to consider...

Hi guys now that I have my live rock in the tank does this mean I can remove the bio balls from my filtration?

..leaving the bioballs as they are. In such a small tank with such a bio load, you want to have as much space as possible for your bacteria beds to exist. Remember, your biological is the key to your success.

I noticed that nobody asked this question about your clownfish: Were these wild caught fish or Tank Raised specimens? The reason for asking is that, as I understand it, the hermaphroditic abilities of clownfish only go one way. All are unsexed or males until one becomes the female. Females do not revert back to males once they change. That being said, if these were wild fish and one was a male and the other was a newly changed female, this could account for the fighting and more "territories" would need to be in place for their peaceful coexistance. If there is only 1 anemone, this could be what the squabbling was about.

Based on your picture, these look like nice wild Clarkii clowns. Very similar to the wild ones I used to import from Sri Lanka. My compliments to the breeder if these are TR clowns. They did a great job (y)

Hope this helps...

These are not tank raised clowns... They have been caught from the wild... I have two anemone in the tank... The squabbling has reduced by heaps and bounds compared to when I got them. They might occasionally chase each-other but they Sony bite in to each-other at all...

I agree with Andy about the bioballs. You may want to remove them eventually, but first you want the LR to become fully established in the tank. If you do end up removing them, do it in stages 1/4 - 1/3 at a time (a week apart).

Clowns do NOT need an anemone, so if they don't make it long term, please don't replace them. Get a frogspawn, hammer, or similar for them to host.

Good luck.

Okay then...

These are not tank raised clowns... They have been caught from the wild... I have two anemone in the tank... The squabbling has reduced by heaps and bounds compared to when I got them. They might occasionally chase each-other but they Sony bite in to each-other at all...

This then could very well be a territorial issue and not a gender issue. Keep looking for the tail bars to show up on the smaller male. If they don't appear, you most likely have a pair of females. If you should decide to replace the smaller fish, make sure that the one you get has the bars so that you know it's a male.

Either way, they look like nice fish (y)

Thanks :) I live my clowns think they are the highlight of any marine tank.

Will also keep the bio balls in the tank as advised. Thanks a lot for the support guys...

Clownfish are hermaphrodites... There is not much dimorphism between the two either. Some people say there is a way to tell by the thicker bars but that is not the case. More of a difference between two fish. Just like how some people say only male kribs have spot on the tall and females don't. When this is not the case.

Craigj247, how about an update with some pictures?

Love to see the rock in the tank.

Sexing Clarkii clowns

Clownfish are hermaphrodites... There is not much dimorphism between the two either. Some people say there is a way to tell by the thicker bars but that is not the case. More of a difference between two fish. Just like how some people say only male kribs have spot on the tall and females don't. When this is not the case.

To expand on this statement,
My collectors have told me that in every case where they collected mated pairs of Clarkii Clowns, the smaller male always has tail bars. The females show no signs of tail bars. There is no other external differences that separate the 2 genders.
In a recent conversation I had with a fellow breeder who is also a TF importer, he said that he has seen a marked difference in domesticated fish markings that no longer reflect the original wild fish's colors. In the case of Kribs, unless you are dealing with wild fish, the tail spots can no longer be deamed a reliable way of sexing the fish.

Hope we cleared a few things up with this one (y)

Back
Top Bottom