Clown Gobys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a yellow clown goby die on me recently, possible because of stress (he had his fins nipped a bit by my magenta dottyback, I think).

But, my LFS now has some clown gobys back in stock again, so as my old one was absolutely fine for a few months (no aggression from the dottyback really), I'm going to give one another go.

My question is - I like both the yellow clown goby, and the green clown goby (with red markings). Would it be ok to add both of these, a couple of weeks apart?

10G nano, magenta dottyback and ocellaris clown, water conditions good.

I wouldn't chance it in only a 10g tank. This new clown will be just that. A newcomer in limited space. I'm thinking the dottyback won't like it.

If anything you be be better off introducing two (yellows not usually as hardy IME) at the same time so there is not a single target. Make sure you have plenty of rockwork for them to escape and lightly feeding just after introduction may take the spotlight off of the new additions.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Well, my last yellow clown goby was more or less fine for a few months, then the dottyback just turned against him it would seem. Just lightly nipping his fins, but it seemed to be constantly every day over 1-2 weeks, so I guess that was enough for him :(

Hmm, it looks like I should add 2 at a time, or nothing then? I did read that having 2 exactly the same would mean the gobys will fight, but one of each (yellow, green) will mean they're different enough to not bother, particularly with the green being a citrous species and having the red markings too, etc?

They are usually quite passive towards each other and do not display aggression towards conspecifics. Treat every fish as an individual (personality-wise), but for the most part they should be fine. Whether or not you should add any is a judgement call based on your understanding of your tank's inhabitants.

They are neat little fish to watch but I think I would stick with just one since you have a few other fish in that tank.

They are usually quite passive towards each other and do not display aggression towards conspecifics. Treat every fish as an individual (personality-wise), but for the most part they should be fine. Whether or not you should add any is a judgement call based on your understanding of your tank's inhabitants.

Well, the ocellaris is fine, he just played about with my last yellow clown goby but never actually touched him. The dottyback mainly just looked inquisitively, but did actually nip his fins a bit in the last few weeks.

I really liked the fish though, lots of personality! I don't know what to do...I think you're right about adding 2 though, mainly for the dottyback. I reckon it's 2 or nothing...I did read on Live Aquaria that they can be territorial to others of the same species, that's all.

They are neat little fish to watch but I think I would stick with just one since you have a few other fish in that tank.

Do you mean for my bioload?

Well, I have lots of liverock, and also an internal filter. I do a 25% PWC every 2 weeks, and feed just once a day...plus the tiny gobys don't expell much energy, or eat much!

Hmm...

Ahhh... the "just one more" syndrome!

Even though they're small, it's still one (or two) more fish in a very small tank to start with. They probably won't effect your bioload, but they will raise the stress level in the tank in my opinion. Dottybacks aren't known to be the nicest of neighbors. Can't imagine your new goby would fair any better than the last.

I agree that the clown gobies are pretty darn cute fish - what about taking the dottyback back to the LFS and getting the two gobies instead? Is that an option?

When I had a 10g setup I only had 2 fish in the tank at any one time. I would add only one goby to an already maxed system. Kurt makes a good point can you part with the dottyback? If you can take that fish back and get two clown gobies.

Yeah I must agree that my dottyback and ocellaris are 110% ok together, but they both did show "interest" in my old goby.

Even though the dottyback is aggressive, I still really like him, and he's been out of the tank on the floor before now (before I had a lid!), and I just got to him in time...so he's a lucky fish. So no, I can't part with him I'm afraid.

It's just strange that my old goby was absolutely fine and happy for about 3 months - he even came straight up to the top to feed with the dottyback and clown every night! But I did notice his torn fins every couple of days for the last 2-3 weeks before he died one day, so I can only assume it was because of the stress? It was so sudden.

Since you want to keep the dottyback I would just add one clown goby (citron green with the red) and see how things go.

Good luck!! Get some pics posted!!

If you are only going to add a single fish then I would just pass overall on the clown gobies. They are not known for their defensive abilities and with just a single addition you are giving the dottyback something focus on, unless the clown goby is full grown with good girth to it. If you wish to keep the dottyback, do yourself a favor and find a more resilient fish ;)

I have two clown gobies (one yellow and one green) in my pico. They are great fish. However, keep in mind they are very timid. When pair with more active or agressive fish, they are often times out-competed for food.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm tempted to just leave it, but I loved the clown goby I had before! Part of me wants to chance it again, but it was awful when he died (although he did always get plenty of food, he ate directly off the plastic spoon I use, and came up for food with the others as soon as he sensed it was tea time!).

I'll think on it.

Back
Top Bottom