Clown Gobys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just added a Yellow Clown Goby to my 10G nano, and he seems to be settling in well (this is attempt number 2 as the last one "jumped" out :( Needless to say, I now have a secure lid)!

I'd also like to add a Green Clown Goby (with red stripes) in a week or two, but I've read they can fight with their own kind, and/or fish of similar size/bodyshape.

I've also read about others who have kept them both together in small tanks (Lando :p). Should I be ok? Particularly with me adding one before the other?

I dont think you should have a problem, but I dont have any personal experience with them, only whant I have read/seen.

Cool...I think it was on LiveAquaria, and Reefpedia, that said they can fight with their own kind/similar size & shape.

They do look very docile fish, barely capable of moving, nevermind fighting!

Does anyone else have any experience/advice?

That's awesome! If I add a pistol shrimp then, will it not form a relationship with my clown goby? Or is it just certain gobys (if so which ones?)?

And, is it all the pistol shrimp (red-banded etc) that will do this? Do the shrimp & goby have to be added at the same time?

It may be time to think about stop adding fish. That is the problem with smaller tanks...sooo many fish...sooo little room. I would suggest the green clown goby over the royal gramma for a 10gal. It should be just fine with your yellow clown goby.

Lando: The royal gramma was an idea to replace my dottyback, which showed aggressive behaviour, not as an addition! :) I was just looking ahead.

Cool re. the green clown goby, I'll see if my LFS can order me one in. Then I'll call it a day! Only if something happened to the dottyback (or I traded him in) would I add the gramma.

I've seen some pics of the goby that are bright green with bright red stripes, and some that are a really dull green - almost grey - which I found a bit odd. Are most of them bright, or dull?

it depends on how well they are taken care of really. If you give it proper care and feed it well, you should have bright, vibrant colors :)

The gramma is an active fish and can be aggressive as well. A better choice would be a firefish or purple firefish IMO.

Cool, I didn't know if there were different types or if they came from different places etc. :)

On feeding, do most target feed their gobys, at least initially?

lando said:
The gramma is an active fish and can be aggressive as well. A better choice would be a firefish or purple firefish IMO.

I would be swapping the dottyback for something else, so that I can also add a firefish, but it looks like I shouldn't swop it for a gramma either!

I just really like firefish, but I guess I'll stick with my gobys :p

Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom