Clownfish care/stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two oc. Clowns. They were the first fish I added after my cycle and they were tiny! Only about a half an inch long. The cool thing is I have been able to watch them grow to the whopping inch they are now and decide who is the more dominant of the two. At feeding time I can almost pet the little buggars at the top of the tank but any other time watch out! No issues with giving me a good nip. Lol they have recent started to host my goni coral and at first it didn't look so good. Now the female has learned to be nice and gentle so the coral dosent close up on her. It's quite funny to watch her lay sideways in it. Their names are Nori (female) and Umame (male), I have a sushi theme. :)

Attachments

• image-4136359222.jpg
    image-4136359222.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 120
Gorgeous tanks and fish! Great to hear so many people love their fishy friends as much as myself. My clown is still by herself, i often wondrr if shes lonely :(

I have a true percula in my biocube 29. She looks beautiful but boy is she a mean one! She readily eats from my hand with no problems and I love that, but every time I go to clean my glass or the rocks or to set a frag or cut a new one she bites the hell out of my arm. She has pulled out arm hair before. It's quite the love hate relationship. Luckily it gets a laugh from people and I really don't mind it :D

Gorgeous tanks and fish! Great to hear so many people love their fishy friends as much as myself. My clown is still by herself, i often wondrr if shes lonely :(

Hi Dvsfx

I have a 14 gallon biocube with two clownfish, a watchman goby, and two firefish.

I also have a six line wrasse but I havent seen him for a few days.

From what i understand they like to burrow under the sand so I am hopeful he will show himself eventually.

I have recently begun to add a few corals, my most recent addition was a hammer coral which I hope to have at least one of my clownfish host.

I dont know how I get anything done since setting up this tank. All I want to do is sit and watch! :popcorn:

Cool stories! I can't remember if it was this thread or another where I mentioned my new frogspawn coral and someone told me there was a good chance my clowns would not host it but it turns out that they are moving in and luckily for me they seem to be gentle about it and never scare it into hiding so I think I got lucky! Keep us posted if they move into the hammer. How large is it? I bought a good size frogspawn which im guessing helped convince my clowns to move in so quickly

Cool stories! I can't remember if it was this thread or another where I mentioned my new frogspawn coral and someone told me there was a good chance my clowns would not host it but it turns out that they are moving in and luckily for me they seem to be gentle about it and never scare it into hiding so I think I got lucky! Keep us posted if they move into the hammer. How large is it? I bought a good size frogspawn which im guessing helped convince my clowns to move in so quickly

I've gotta hammer, just picked it up on Friday. First day in the tank and the maroon was getting close. Pretty cool!

Attachments

• 3-11-2013.jpg
    3-11-2013.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 98
So I tried spot feeding my corals for the first time last night and as I went to feed my frogspawn I must have gotten too close because my clowns came after me and was biting my plastic syringe and trying to defend it! It was pretty cool to watch!

Yeah they can be vicious little fishes...my brother had one and it would attack anything that came in the tank that wasnt already there(tools,fingers,arms etc.. Then he got a pair gor his cube! And you xan see their teeth! Sw piranha anyone?:D

My clowns are still kinda leery of my hammer coral. Although my smaller clown seems to be more interested than the larger one.

Its funny because they seem more interested in sparring off with each other than the other things in the tank!:ermm:

Does anyone know how long this behavior will last?

I also spot fed my hammer and it closed up around the food which was good because the clowns were rather interested in stealing the food! Lol

I've gotta hammer, just picked it up on Friday. First day in the tank and the maroon was getting close. Pretty cool!

Hey my hammer coral looks like it is about the same size as your right now!

Has your hammer sent out long tentacles yet?

Hey loco sorry for the delay I have had a busy week. But do you just have tthe two clownfish? And how long have you had them? They could be asserting dominance and in my experience it lasted for about 3 months at a pretty intense rate and has been getting calmer for about 1.5 now and a noticeable size difference has happened since all the fighting started which could mean female /male relationship is forming. Also what do you mean by send out long tentacles?

Hey loco sorry for the delay I have had a busy week. But do you just have tthe two clownfish? And how long have you had them? They could be asserting dominance and in my experience it lasted for about 3 months at a pretty intense rate and has been getting calmer for about 1.5 now and a noticeable size difference has happened since all the fighting started which could mean female /male relationship is forming. Also what do you mean by send out long tentacles?

Hey no worries Marty. Glad to hear from you again:flowers:

I have had my clowns for about a month now. They dont seem to be attacking eachother or anything.. really its been a whole lot of staring each other down.

From what i understand whoever is the winner of the power battle grows significantly larger than the other and becomes the female. Weird how nature works!

The hammer coral I have periodically sends out a few long tentacles every so often. I
readsomewhere that it may be because it is hungry. I was wndering

Post a picture of it tomorrow during the day. I attached a picture of my frogspawn and they are similar so hopefully yours looks like this during the day

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130314_225002.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130314_225002.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20130314_225018.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130314_225018.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 85
Post a picture of it tomorrow during the day. I attached a picture of my frogspawn and they are similar so hopefully yours looks like this during the day

I am not sure how to post pictures! Lol

But yes the hammer coral i have looks similar to the frogspawn you have.

Very cool!

Where did you get your frag?

And what other types of coral do you have?

I listed the others in the other thread but if your hammer looks like mine there then I would guess its healthy and that is the extent orbits tenctacle extension. And I use my phone so I just attach them from my phone gallery

I noticed my black oscelaris from the wil is absolutely taken over my tank, even damsels dont mess with it! I tried feeding my nem today.. Had it halfway down, and my clown being a host of the condy nem, just kept rippin it away, even when i fed him, he would just tear away at the piece of shrimp!

My clowns are still kinda leery of my hammer coral. Although my smaller clown seems to be more interested than the larger one.

Its funny because they seem more interested in sparring off with each other than the other things in the tank!:ermm:

Does anyone know how long this behavior will last?

I also spot fed my hammer and it closed up around the food which was good because the clowns were rather interested in stealing the food! Lol

From what I've heard a about clowns, they are sparring over dominance and when that is done then one will turn female and they'll pair. No BS. as for the Hammer, my tank is in my office and I don't often see the night time behaviors. I'll soon be putting a 55 in the office, what better way to maintain an SW tank than to spend 40 hours a week with it...? Sorry I don't know about the tentacles, but I've given my hammer plenty of clearance. I think...
:popcorn:

From what I've heard a about clowns, they are sparring over dominance and when that is done then one will turn female and they'll pair. No BS. as for the Hammer, my tank is in my office and I don't often see the night time behaviors. I'll soon be putting a 55 in the office, what better way to maintain an SW tank than to spend 40 hours a week with it...? Sorry I don't know about the tentacles, but I've given my hammer plenty of clearance. I think...
:popcorn:

Hi Pisces

Thanks for your response. One of the pair is already larger than the other, but the little one is definitely putting up a good fight LOL:whistle:

I have placed my hammer away from most of my coral the only exception being my kenya tree. Fortunately the rock it is attached to is taller than the sand bed so even when it does extend its tentacles the kenyatree is out of reach:)

Hi Pisces

Thanks for your response. One of the pair is already larger than the other, but the little one is definitely putting up a good fight LOL:whistle:

I have placed my hammer away from most of my coral the only exception being my kenya tree. Fortunately the rock it is attached to is taller than the sand bed so even when it does extend its tentacles the kenyatree is out of reach:)

I was watching a show about reefs and the clowns were being focused on with the anemones. Turns out the female is more dominant and larger. Guess I'm a sexist... I moved my stuff around too, but not too much room in a 10g. I got the hammer off to one side and my other corals strategically placed. I had a great idea for my Zoas, but only time will tell if I can help it happen. Started seriously thinking about my 55g setup, wife is on board even if somewhat reluctant!

I was watching a show about reefs and the clowns were being focused on with the anemones. Turns out the female is more dominant and larger. Guess I'm a sexist... I moved my stuff around too, but not too much room in a 10g. I got the hammer off to one side and my other corals strategically placed. I had a great idea for my Zoas, but only time will tell if I can help it happen. Started seriously thinking about my 55g setup, wife is on board even if somewhat reluctant!

I just got a few new zoas today. I already had a frag that had a lot of open space of rock on it so i attached a smaller frag of a different color zoas to see if i can get them to merge together. Hopefully it will work .... only time will tell I guess.

A friend offered me here brand new 20 gallon high tank. I was hoping to go a little bigger for my next reef tank but it is free and brandnew! I have already checked out some stands. For about a $100 dollars i will be set to go.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom