College Tank Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuA c

Aquarium Advice Freak
Am going to college in a year and a half and I want to start thinking about the tank I will set up there.
Definitely a nano of some sort. I was thinking a fluval spec or ecopico. If I get the spec I would make a custom hood with new lights. I found a diy kit for $53 and it has 3 white and 3 actinic lights. I want a tank with the filter in the back. I can't put a sump together in college.
Black sand. That's a certain. Many mushrooms and polyps and zoas. A couple sexy shrimp. I will probably take pieces of coral from my existing tank right now. I have trumpet coral and hammer coral also.
If I can find a jbj 9g (it may be a 6g, I'll check on that) tank only for a good price, I'd pounce on that. A custom hood and the diy lighting on that. That would look awesome. I would add a gbta first and let it move around. Maybe add a diamond goby or a Banggai cardinal.
Any additions or suggestions from anyone would be awesome. Thanks

Dudethis is exactly what im doing when i go to college. Only 3g in the dorm? Pico reef!!! Haha

I love the idea, and think it would be very cool. Maybe a neon goby?

The spec makes a great pico of you plan to mod the lights. I have 2 spec pico reefs up right now, I love the tank.

The spec makes a great pico of you plan to mod the lights. I have 2 spec pico reefs up right now, I love the tank.
you should attatch a photo of your tanks and share them here, cuz i am curious as to what they look like now. i followed that build thread for one of them and they looked really nice. i love the black sand idea. i think i am going to make a custom hood and attatch these lights in the link. how high of the surface of the water should i place them? http://http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-61/06-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

Thanks, but those 2 Picos that I had build threads for are no more, the corals out-grew the tanks so I moved everything to my 45 cube. Here are the last pictures I took of them.

My wife is currently using one for a Mushroom only Pico, and I am using the other for a Nano contest I entered last month. I can take a photo of them when I get home if you would like.

That kit might work but I would suggest getting dimmable drivers, the tank is pretty small, so 6 LEDs on at full power would probably cook everything. I made my hood dimmable with 5 LED (3blue, 2white), and I only run the blues at 70% power and the whites at 20%. I have the actual LEDs about 3" off the surface of the water, but I made a acrylic splash guard to keep them safe from the evap.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 168
The first picture is using 50/50s or did u change to LEDs? I'm curious as to what the tanks look like now so yeah if u could post those pics that'd be awesome.

on the same website, they have a dimmable set also. did you make you hood usign a kit, or did you go and find your own stuff? what did you get if you got a kit, or if u found your own stuff what did you get?

Here's them now, the 50/50 is a mushroom only. And the LED tank is only a month old, I took the black sand out so I could add some from my fuge when I started it back up. I kind wish I kept it black, definitely made the corals pop.

I have a thread on my led build some where in the DIY section. It says where I bought it all from

Attachments

• image-2421700633.jpg
    image-2421700633.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 133
  • image-3578150226.jpg
    image-3578150226.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 131
I agree, the black sand is better. I wish I had done it on my main tank.

Sorry I can't get the links to open. But I don't know if would try a nem in this small of a tank thought no matter what light you have.

would the ecopico led arm with one led strip be able to support zoas, hammer coral, acan, trumpet coral and mushrooms?

Back
Top Bottom