Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fattonynoriega

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been up and running for 5 months now and everything seems to be running fine. I'm new to the saltwater world and I have a JBJ 12 g stocked with a small clown fish a couple of hermits and button polyps. So the confusion is this. Yesterday I added a purple firefish and 2 turbo snails. The firefish is fine swimming around the tank but the snails have not moved since I put them in the tank. Dont know y they would have died if everything else in the tank is good. Any input on this situation would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

They didn't die. They just do that sometimes. You probably didn't acclimate them for very long. 2 turbo snails is a lot for a 12 gallon tank IMO. You are probably going to have to add algae for them.

I'm a little surprised too. They should have come out by now. Did u acclimate them at all? At least temperature wise? If u acclimated them just give them more time. By the way, 2 turbo's in a 12 Gal. Is a bit much fm my own experience. An aquarium only provides so much food for the snails. I couldn't figure out why I was having Trochus snail die off. Then I was reading a thread here on AA about overpopulating and lack of food. Turns out they were right. My BC 14 will only sustain 1 Trochus. I quit buying new ones to replace the dead ones and now everything is in harmony. For some reason Ceriths don't live long in my tank either. I think it might b because they compete for the same food as my Trochus. Those Turbos really r a bit much though unless u have a major algae problem. And if u have coral frags. B prepared to constantly put them back in place. They really r the bulldozers everyone says they r

Thanks for the input. My algae is on the rocks so I'll play it by ear with how much there eating. Well that is if they move. I acclimated them for about 20 minutes floated the bag and then slowly added salt water little by little. Just got home from work and firefish looks very healthy. Snails are still in same spot. Do u think I should take them back to the lfs?? Thanks

Yeah. I've never run across that before so I don't know what to tell u. At least the fish is OK. Think I'd take em back if they're still not moving. I think u would know if they were dead. But they can't b healthy if they haven't moved. Trade em in for a couple Trochus snails

Back
Top Bottom