Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I kinda feel the regular aragonite sand is the best. I;ve used all different kinds in all my tanks and that seems to work the best. Also the cheapest too. lol

OK, went to the lfs today and got some really, really good information and recommendations. I am going with a live reef sand as my substrate rather than the aragonite or crushed coral. They had live rock and will get probably 3 pounds to start off with until the tank is cycled (3-4 weeks). They had a lot of coral, very pretty colors; some very high priced for my pocketbook. Had a small mini coral reasonably priced (in my book) - will get that and a couple of fish when I am ready to inhabit my tank. Once tank is established will get a handful of blue leg hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp. We have a API fresh water test kit right now - will that suffice for right now until I get a reef test kit? Not sure about the pH for all the inhabitants once I get them in. Any suggestions there?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used "live sand" in a bag for my biocube. Mind you it will have no effect on your cycling, I just chose what look I liked and they had a pink fiji I thought I;d try.

The API freshwater and saltwater kits are same chemicals, just a different color card. The same rules apply though, if theres ammonia you'll get a green, trites will be purple and if your nitrates show up orange or red it's high. LOL

I wouldnt worry too much about ph at this point unless it's unreasonably low or high which it shouldnt be in a fresh starting tank if decent salt mix was used.

For example, my 125g runs at 7.8 on ph BUT every other parameter is fine and everything is growing and doing well. For me to chase after the "perfect" ph of 8.3 would mean adding chemicals and just mucking up the chemistry. As long as it's consistent then youre fine.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's my fluval edge it's a freshwater tank though

Attachment 78999
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

nice! I like the black substrate.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
nice! I like the black substrate.
My Fluval Edge was black and I used the black substrate and I hated it. It was so dark the LED light did not even brighten it up. I have a white one now and am going with a lighter color substrate.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #26

got it started; five and a half pounds of live rock and live reef sand.

Tags
nano, nano tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com