Considering Setting Up a Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PamT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, my name is PamT and interested in possibly setting up a 6.5 nano aquarium, Fluval Edge. It's a cute set up, but has a small opening in the top, about 7in x 5in (that's one of the things I don't like about it but that's another story). Am thinking about putting a clown and an anemone in the tank. Does anyone thing this is a bad idea? The guy at the aquarium store last night said he thought the anemone would outgrow the tank quickly. My husband thought it would be a great idea to set it up that way. Any suggestions?

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

hate to confirm the bad news, but nope, no clowns or anemones should be in such a small tank. Both will quickly outgrow it. :-(

The best use I can think of would be maybe a clown goby, at most, and inverts like shrimp and hermits and crabs and stuff like that.

Hi y'all. I'm Pam's husband. I used the clown fish and anemone as an example. In part due to the fact that the LFS that she 1st saw the Fluval Edge tank at had one set up that way.

When she went to that store yesterday to inquire, at least the guy we usually deal with was professional enough to warn her away from that set up.

I have limited experience with saltwater tanks. The last one I had was a 90G and my anemone never got much bigger than softball size. But I only had the tank set up for about 9 months. I was traveling for work a lot at the time and just couldn't take care of it like it needed. Not to mention that I probably made every rookie mistake there is in the process of stocking it. ;)

Some of the questions we have are concerning pH and temps requirement for the species we might like, as well as substrate (crushed coral, sand etc.)

Obviously we will need something that stays small, but hopefully colorful. Need recommendations of fish, inverts etc. that are good for novices.

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

hate to confirm the bad news, but nope, no clowns or anemones should be in such a small tank. Both will quickly outgrow it. :-(

The best use I can think of would be maybe a clown goby, at most, and inverts like shrimp and hermits and crabs and stuff like that.

Thanks for your input. What about live rock? Just thinking about several options.

I had a 4g saltwater tank set up last year and it was actually really nice. i had alot of corals in it and a tiny clown goby. Also had the hermits and crabs and shrimp. Here is a shot of it:

There are lots of options for small tanks but just will take more research and patience. Also small tanks are harder to keep believe it or not. I spent more time on my 4g than my 125g tank! LOL

img_1819886_0_414be8fb17cba982bfc71e627c31c0d1.jpg

img_1819886_1_6f42cbb9fd345cf299054de76840b8fb.jpg

OK. I have to know. Why was the 4g harder?

More frequent water changes?

Beautiful tank you had though.

carey said:
I had a 4g saltwater tank set up last year and it was actually really nice. i had alot of corals in it and a tiny clown goby. Also had the hermits and crabs and shrimp. Here is a shot of it:

There are lots of options for small tanks but just will take more research and patience. Also small tanks are harder to keep believe it or not. I spent more time on my 4g than my 125g tank! LOL

What are u using for light?

I have the 6 gallon fluval edge tank the small opening in the top does suck u have to empty water if u wanna get your hand in it i still like the tank i don't have much coral as my lighting is lacking but i currently have a orange spotted goby a black banded chromis emerald crab pair 2 nassarius snails some bottom polyps mushrooms and yellow polyps everything seems happy i wonder if the chromis would like a larger home though lfs said it would be fine but i understand some places just wanna sell and not teach the right things

I have the 6 gallon fluval edge tank the small opening in the top does suck u have to empty water if u wanna get your hand in it i still like the tank i don't have much coral as my lighting is lacking but i currently have a orange spotted goby a black banded chromis emerald crab pair 2 nassarius snails some bottom polyps mushrooms and yellow polyps everything seems happy i wonder if the chromis would like a larger home though lfs said it would be fine but i understand some places just wanna sell and not teach the right things

I can understand what you are saying. I am really new at even thinking of setting the Edge up as a saltwater tank. You've given me some ideas; will research to see exactly what you have as I have no clue as to what you have. Thanks.

The lighting set up on the Fluval Edge does leave a lot to be desired IMO.

rich_t said:
The lighting set up on the Fluval Edge does leave a lot to be desired IMO.

Ya i have a cheap led and a 12 attenic marine glow bulb for the blue it looks decent for what i spent

What are you using for your substrate? Does it make a difference as to what you use or is it personal preference?

Im actually not sure what the difference is i use crushed coral seems to work fine

I was using a par38 screw in bulb, it worked wonders! Something like this

PAR30 Reef Lamp Kit by BoostLED

With such a small amount of water every feeding can jack up the water parameters. You have little to no room for error. Even the normal evaporation can cause the salinity to sky rocket. My 125g almost runs itself at this point. lol

I used regular fine black sand for my pico, looked good until it got dirty though. hehe...

crushed coral looks nice but can trap particles that can cause higher than normal nitrates. :)

carey said:
I was using a par38 screw in bulb, it worked wonders! Something like this

PAR30 Reef Lamp Kit by BoostLED

With such a small amount of water every feeding can jack up the water parameters. You have little to no room for error. Even the normal evaporation can cause the salinity to sky rocket. My 125g almost runs itself at this point. lol

I used regular fine black sand for my pico, looked good until it got dirty though. hehe...

crushed coral looks nice but can trap particles that can cause higher than normal nitrates. :)

Nice thanks and it does trap particles but the snails mix it up... What is the best substrate to use??

I kinda feel the regular aragonite sand is the best. I;ve used all different kinds in all my tanks and that seems to work the best. Also the cheapest too. lol

I kinda feel the regular aragonite sand is the best. I;ve used all different kinds in all my tanks and that seems to work the best. Also the cheapest too. lol

We have aragonite in our 120G chiclid tank but it's not actually sand size but more crushed coral sized.

Back
Top Bottom