Coral care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allen m.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been in the marine fish hobby for a few years but a month ago I set up a fluval edge to turn into a nano reef. What would be some good corals to start off with and how to properly care for them?
This is what I got going right now
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 phosphate 0
Calcium 440
Alkalinity (carbonate) 125

image-3052916028.jpg

Two mr 13 cool white and 18inch finnex ray 2 strip light. The ray two consist of 2 18 inch strip lights one actinic strip and one 12k.

How many watts are the diodes, and how many diodes of each type? The lighting will be the most important thing to determine what coral you might have success with.

How long has the bubble tip been in the tank?

Each strip contains 72 .5 watt LEDs and the anemone has been in the tank for three days. I ordered it from reefs2go.com

Ok. The tank will do fine with most softies and some LPS corals. 0.5W diodes even in this small tank might make success with SPS more difficult.

You have any suggestion on supplementing? I do 20% water changes weekly with instant ocean reef salt.

For now I wouldn't worry about it. Water changes will be fine for awhile.

I think the nem could be trouble down the road with those lights however.

From a standpoint of not high enough PAR for it.

I have no nem experience by the way so it is conjecture from me. Just 1 area of concern you may want to do some research on and ask some questions on.

I've asked my local Lfs about them under these lights and they told me I shouldn't have any problem keeping it as long as my parameters are in check. That's the only reason I went ahead and got it.

I would ask some more knowledgeable hobbyists rather than a LFS. No offense to them, but through the years I have seen more bad advice from LFS's than good. Sometimes you get lucky and find a gem of a store that has knowledgeable folks with your best interest in mind. Other times, they offer advice that is not so good - and it might not be nefarious, but some folks just don't know about long term care requirements.

It might be ok - I just know that they require higher light, and you have some pretty small diodes (Even though there are 72 of them). The problem with low wattage diodes is they appear bright, but they don't penetrate the water very well.

Again, it is the penetrating power of each diode that is a concern. But no harm in giving it a go! It might work out ok especially since it is not on the bottom of your tank.

Okay and thank you for your help. Its Greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom