Coral only Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. I could have done a 24" deep. But like I said, I wanted to stay in the 30-35 gallon range. Do u think the Fluval 406 is too much? And I'm not sure what ur asking when u mention an overflow. Am I missing somethin ? It didn't come with the overflow. I chose to stay with the basic tank. No overflow. Not predrilled. I intend on setting it up just like my cichlid tank as far as the filter goes. So please inform me if there is something I'm leaving out of the equation. I don't have an overflow on my 55 Gal tank. Unless ur talking about something that removes the surface scum. And to that, I would just set my return nozzle at a level that would create surface turbulence. I won't b filling this tank to the top. Probably about an 11/2" below the rim. And the tank and stand combo u mentioned sounds like a real fine deal

Ahh, yep, you wont need a drilled tank with overflow if youre going with a canister filter. lol My bad. :)

I think you will have an issue with the intake and output nozzles though, they tend to be quite long and your tank isnt very tall. they do make a spray bar attachment for the output and maybe you can saw the input tube down a few inches?

Right. I understand shortening the intake. No problem. I will look into the return bar. Realize it can b an issue. Do u think the 405 or 406 is overkill? Think I should go with something a bit smaller?

Personally I think it may be a bit much. I'm using a 305 on a 55g tank. lol Keep in mind you will only be needing the filter for mechanical filtration and adding any chemical media you may need in the future.

other fixture for lighting

Again I'm calling on the experience of some one here at AA. Ended up going elsewhere to settle the filter question. Now about the lighting. Metal Halide is the cheapest way to go initially for my 20 Gal. build. $100 for a 175 W. 14000K system. Or $400 for something nearly equivalent in the LED Dept. Leaning toward the LED's as I'm not a big fan of the heat generated by the halides.Would very much appreciate any serious thoughts on this topic. Thanks

My Husband bought me a 30" flourescent fixture with 2 actinic 24w and to 12k flourescents and 4 blue led moonlight bulbs off of ebay eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

You're probably right Carey. And to think I was initially going to use an FX5. Whew, that could have been a disaster.
And to ipn4. Sounds as though your husband found a good deal. Congrats. I will keep it in mind on any future builds, thanks.

Settled on a Fluval 305 along with the spray bar attachment

And now the build begins

Attachments

• image-3271451539.jpg
    image-3271451539.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 152
That radion looks beast lol. But does it really have that many wires or is it just the hanging kit isn't fully in place?

That thing looks awesome! I guess it better for what it costs..LOL

But seriously, looks great!

Ur right about that. For the price, it should b fixing my dinner. Its set at. 20% output for now. As for the wires. The 1 is hooked up to my laptop. 2 r part of the hanging apparatus, which I'll cut off when I'm satisfied with the height. And of course the power cord. I'll figure out something to do with it eventually

Progression of my build. Installed my Fluval along with the spray bar. Heater. Both in the horizontal position at rear. 20lbs of uncured rock. I'm switching water between my new tank and my established tank to complete the cycling process. Going to buy 10lbs of semi cured rock today followed by 10-15 lbs of cured rock in the next couple of weeks.
I'm not crazy about all the hardware at the rear of the tank but I can deal with it. Maybe if I had the patience and knowledge I would have installed a sump. Oh well, at least I'm satisfied this system will work satisfactorily.( I'm open to positive suggestions ) Thanks

Almost forgot the pic. Ha Ha

Attachments

• image-2687881615.jpg
    image-2687881615.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 155
And another after adding the partially cured LR

Attachments

• image-62652491.jpg
    image-62652491.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 150
For anyone who might decide on buying one of these Ecotech Radion LED systems. Programing these things can be a nightmare. Don't hesitate to go to the Help site when you are configuring the program. I didn't think I would need help. But this site answers all the questions that lots of others were asking, as well as myself

Sorry about all the pictures. I'm trying to figure out why they're so dark and blue. Hopefully this 1 will upload better

Attachments

• image-1863501850.jpg
    image-1863501850.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 211
Today I will be picking up my first coral for this tank. A multi colored Birdsnest. Crossing my fingers. Although I'm switching water between my established tank and new tank, I think it will be necessary to lightly feed this coral until I get an idea of its total requirements. It's a beautiful SPS I found on my LFS website. I purchased it before anyone else could get their grubby hands on it. But I've been away on business and am just now going to go get it.

Yes, all kinds. My 14 is doing so well, I decided to frag a couple of my larger corals. My Palau went under the blade this evening. He's not happy. And I actually felt kinda bad about it. I also moved a large colony of Toadstools to the new tank. I will use the 14 to start small frags that I can buy cheap and move them once they grow a little. I would have moved the Palau to the new tank but I think he's been thru enough for awhile

Back
Top Bottom