Coral only Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Again I'm calling on the experience of some one here at AA. Ended up going elsewhere to settle the filter question. Now about the lighting. Metal Halide is the cheapest way to go initially for my 20 Gal. build. $100 for a 175 W. 14000K system. Or $400 for something nearly equivalent in the LED Dept. Leaning toward the LED's as I'm not a big fan of the heat generated by the halides.Would very much appreciate any serious thoughts on this topic. Thanks

I say if you have the budget for the led's to go for it. The long term savings are enough to buy em. Just have to get ones that will do the job and that part i can't help with, sorry lol

Thanks Carey. I tend to agree. As far as the type and amount needed is open to much debate. But some of the ones I'm looking at in particular range between 4 and 500. More than I'd like to pay but enough light to sustain SPS or so they say

Im getting 2 AI SOL's over my 55g and was debating getting a AI nano over my 12g. The reg size ones run $399 a module and I wanna say its 50-80 bucks cheaper for the nano. THe controller for them is $100 or you can hook them up to a apex with the module apex sells for them. But recently I was thinking about switching to Ecotechs Radion lights just so when I get my MP40 I dont have t get anything controller module wise to control it and just run the base firmware it comes with to control both circ and light.

Thanks for the additional Info. I currently use Stunner strips in my African tank. Of course the lighting isn't nearly as demanding and there's no way those strips could light a coral tank adequately. But I will use ur additional input and do some more research. Knew AA wouldn't let me down

Looks like Ecotechs Radion lights r currently at the top of my list unless I hear anything else fm my fellow reefers

Done deal. Ecotech Radion LED's on their way. Thanks xxSTLxx for steering me toward this awesome product .And so my build begins on this hopefully to be, top of the line coral only nano

Ibrahim said:
Guess it's too late but 3-4 Eco exotic Led pro modules would be enough for SPS

Thanks. I'm happy with my purchase. There's good alternatives to what I bought. But the output gives me more options to the size tank I can build. And it can tie into the vortex power head that I'm debating on. All done wireless.

I spent like 3 hours with my lfs guy this week playing with the radeon lighting. The computer program is beyond spectacular!! seriously, this light is like the cadillac of lights. You can ramp them up and down with the flick of the mouse, change the color intensities , everything you could possibly imagine you can do.

The lfs is currently running them at 30-40% intensity and they generate a ton of light.

cant wait to see your lighting and see what you setup! You'll have to make a video and show us the lightening storms and the ramp ups!

Thanks Caret. Coming fm u lays to rest any doubts I may have had. It will b a slow build because I'm still not sure exactly what I want and how I'm going to do it. Lighting was my biggest hurdle. I looked at everything and and settled on these. Had a bit of buyers remorse. But no more! Thanks again

The rimless tank will b my next major purchase. Paying close attention to the thickness of the glass and also the dimensions so I can get max effect fm the Vortec MP10W powerhead I plan on getting. Looking closely at custom 30Gal. long with the starphire glass. Surprising enough. These aren't too expensive

I'll be going with a rimless 60g cube myself. Once you get that radion you'll have to tell me how the light spread is. My lfs keeps telling me it will be enough but I'd rather hear it from a peer. lol

What are you going to use to light a 30 long though? The starfire/low iron glass is really nice btw, I was eying the mr aqua tanks before I got the 20g rimless, just didnt have them in stock so I had to settle. hehe....

I also plan on a vortech 10 for the rimless I am planning on building. I cannot wait!!

Keep me updated on the light. See if you can come up with any thing, but after seeing the new firmware and all the features I'm sold when the time comes to put lights over my 55g

Yeah. I got a long way to go before I can give feedback on the Radions. Cary was right about the 30 long. It will have to be a 30 or 40 cube. Going to an LFS later today to get some ideas. But I'll be ordering the tank online. Gotta have that starphire glass I've heard so much about. Still, I have little doubt as to the superiority of those lights. I'll probably hook em up over my 55 Cichlid tank until I get my reef tank setup. This will give me some idea of the light parameters

Learned a couple important things as I was looking at tanks today. Rimless isn't the way to go if you don't want leaks. Especially if you're going to incorporate power heads. Also important not to have tempered glass if you're going to drill the glass for fixtures. I've got tons to learn obviously. That's why this build is going to take awhile. But I knew it was going to be a learning process

rimless tanks leak? I am pretty sure i am going with a 60g rimless cube next. It is already predrilled, do you see any issues with that scenario since you've been doing some research?

Thanks

carey said:
rimless tanks leak? I am pretty sure i am going with a 60g rimless cube next. It is already predrilled, do you see any issues with that scenario since you've been doing some research?

Thanks

It shouldn't if it's acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom