Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Coralline algae?

Hey guys I saw this stuff growing in my tank is it Coralline algae?

IMG_0673 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I always though coraline was a slight purple color. Honestly im not sure if it can be any other color. Could be something simalar.. I kno i might not be much help here but either way as long as your water is parameters are good i wouldnt worry too much. Also, is that live rock? Or a coral skelaton?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Coral Skelton... Live rock is illegal over here... But it is from the ocean so it has all the bacteria that you need... Real curios on what this is growing...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Illegal? Interesting. Im not a huge expert but thought i would give my view on it. It honestly looks like a mixture of coralline and something else. Maybe just bacteria cultures from cycling..?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm possible... It's too bring in colour to be the initial stages of hair algae or anything like that... Let's see how it goes...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

where do you live where live rock is illegal, that intense what do they have aquarium tank detectives that come to your house to check if you have live rock haha just messing, but i have done alot of looking up on coralline cuz im starting to get some and they can come in different colors like a lime/neon green from what i have read. Also im pretty sure coralline will be hard on the rock and be difficult to scrap off have you tried touching it at all or removing it?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lmao tell me about it... IY is so hard to have a coral tank over here... The only coral farming allowed over here is for reef regeneration... Oh I live in sri lanka. Yup I have touched it and it is not really on the surface of the rock.. It feels like it is embedded in there... So what to you think? Is it corraline...?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

well the only reason its imbedded is because of how your rock is, but what i have read if your touching it and its not coming off easy it could possible be coralline, im just a little iffy on it because i havnt seen it like that before but it could be the start? but if its not coming off easy and not dusting away and breaking up easy when you touch it, it may very well be coralline. Just keep and eye on it and watch it grow, the more it matures the more you will be able to tell what it really is.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well it seems to be growing on a daily basis... Yup it doesn't cone off even if I brush the thing... I would live it to actually be coralline... Fingers crossed... Will keep you updated. Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry it doesnt look like coralline to me. :-(

do you have any coralline anywhere in your tank? It can;t just come from no where it has to be introduced first and then it will spread. In the states the live rock we get some times has some coralline so that's how we get it. Do you have any buddies that have tanks with the purple? You can use a scraping of theirs and put it in your tank.

Tags
algae, coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com