Coralline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always though coraline was a slight purple color. Honestly im not sure if it can be any other color. Could be something simalar.. I kno i might not be much help here but either way as long as your water is parameters are good i wouldnt worry too much. Also, is that live rock? Or a coral skelaton?

Coral Skelton... Live rock is illegal over here... But it is from the ocean so it has all the bacteria that you need... Real curios on what this is growing...

Illegal? Interesting. Im not a huge expert but thought i would give my view on it. It honestly looks like a mixture of coralline and something else. Maybe just bacteria cultures from cycling..?

Hmmm possible... It's too bring in colour to be the initial stages of hair algae or anything like that... Let's see how it goes...

where do you live where live rock is illegal, that intense what do they have aquarium tank detectives that come to your house to check if you have live rock haha just messing, but i have done alot of looking up on coralline cuz im starting to get some and they can come in different colors like a lime/neon green from what i have read. Also im pretty sure coralline will be hard on the rock and be difficult to scrap off have you tried touching it at all or removing it?

Lmao tell me about it... IY is so hard to have a coral tank over here... The only coral farming allowed over here is for reef regeneration... Oh I live in sri lanka. Yup I have touched it and it is not really on the surface of the rock.. It feels like it is embedded in there... So what to you think? Is it corraline...?

well the only reason its imbedded is because of how your rock is, but what i have read if your touching it and its not coming off easy it could possible be coralline, im just a little iffy on it because i havnt seen it like that before but it could be the start? but if its not coming off easy and not dusting away and breaking up easy when you touch it, it may very well be coralline. Just keep and eye on it and watch it grow, the more it matures the more you will be able to tell what it really is.

Well it seems to be growing on a daily basis... Yup it doesn't cone off even if I brush the thing... I would live it to actually be coralline... Fingers crossed... Will keep you updated. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry it doesnt look like coralline to me. :-(

do you have any coralline anywhere in your tank? It can;t just come from no where it has to be introduced first and then it will spread. In the states the live rock we get some times has some coralline so that's how we get it. :) Do you have any buddies that have tanks with the purple? You can use a scraping of theirs and put it in your tank.

yeah my coralline started off with the lime green and came out of no where and grew quickly and now im starting to get some purple all you can do is wait and hope good luck

Well I got this rock straight out the ocean Carey... Could it have had a small amount on it and now it is spreading? My bubble got popped :(

Hey carey take a look at my post under the identification on my question on coralline and see what you think about it would help a bunch

It could, even a small amount will indeed spread over time. :)

My coralline usually starts out in little white semi circles that are white, then shades of green and finally go to purple.

As long as you have good water with the proper levels of calcium, magnesium and the alkalinity is ok it will spread. Mine is plated onto everything in my tank after about a year or so. I only started out with about 30lbs of live rock and a very small amount of coralline.

Have to agree with Carey on this one. I'm just starting to get it in my tank, and it does start in little white disk shapes which then starts to turn purple.

Back
Top Bottom