Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my 14 biocube is done cycling and with the light it came with what corals could I get that are easy to care for and aren't that expensive

Green star polyps, zoanthids, frog spawn, soft leather corals(Kenya tree, cult, toadstool) anthalia, shrooms, I've got a donut coral in there I've see others with brain and cup corals swell as some tongue corals

I would suggest you invest into a corals book
Julian sprung has a nice one
Corals: a quick reference

It lists light needs, flow, placement, agressiveness feeding and more

Angelfish56 said:
What about Silver Pulsating Xenia

There ok. They can be picked at by a lot of different stuff did you get an arrow crab.

O I also Agee with mr ratrod57 a leather is a great starter coral. My first was a toadstools.

Xenia will work fine. Very fun to watch, under lower flow the polyps will move more. Also mushrooms are a good place to start as well.

Want a cool coral. Try a single Dendrophyllia. Sum call it sun coral, but it isn't really. They require no light. ( non photosynthetic ) But u have to hand feed them. I thought it would be a pain. But it isn't. They're pretty awesome. And watching them ingest their food is real interesting

Another thing about this coral. Although they're usually closed up when the lights r on. U can train them to remain open all the time. Just by feeding during daylight hours. Many people mistake them 4 anemones, but they're not

Crabs said:
Another thing about this coral. Although they're usually closed up when the lights r on. U can train them to remain open all the time. Just by feeding during daylight hours. Many people mistake them 4 anemones, but they're not

I do want to try them. Do you feed every day or one to two times a week.

I feed mine a little every day. But only because I like to. My LFS said 3-4 times weekly is sufficient. And I've gone as long as 4 days because I was away. U just need to retrain them to remain open, when they're not fed for that length of time

Crabs said:
I feed mine a little every day. But only because I like to. My LFS said 3-4 times weekly is sufficient. And I've gone as long as 4 days because I was away. U just need to retrain them to remain open, when they're not fed for that length of time

Cool, thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom