couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all

its been a while since i last posted, ive been so busy with school! and just to warn you all, this is going to be very, very long because i want to make sure you get EVERY detail. first let me explain the situation:

i have a 10g nano with HOB DIY fuge, ~15 lbs LR, ~10 lbs LS, some assorted corals, macro, hitch-hikers, skunk cleaner shrimp, cerith snails, and dwarf blueleg hermits. it has been established for about 8-9 months, with much of the LR+LS taken from an established year+ old tank. here is a picture (2-3 months old) for a better idea:

img_347425_0_c29f0a0a2f35db54a9f82e3499266660.jpg

sorry its a bit large. anyway, as you can see i have 2 ocellaris in that picture. the first i had introduced when the tank was established, the second about 3 months ago. however, less than a week ago, they met their unfortunate demise. the thing is, i am away at school and wasn't present for their passing, and only have the limited information i gathered from my mother, who takes care of the tanks, and information provided by their little frozen bodies. the female died first, apparently she was showing signs of distressed swimming, and the male died the morning after. they have no signs of physical damage, fin rot, ich, velvet, etc (my mother confirmed this when they were alive). all parameters in the water test fine. i dont know what happened. everything else in the tank is fine- the corals, the shrimp, etc. i do have some very unhappy anemones though, i think perhaps this is the issue. i am planning on giving them away, as i dont think my tank can support them judging by their behavior. they roam all the time, never sit still, refuse to eat, and are seldom bubbly (oh they are green BTA's). i dont know if anemones release a toxin if htey are unhappy?

so now im wondering what to do with this tank. i wanted to get into breeding, i heard ocellaris are good to start with and dont need a large tank, thats why i tried them. after this, i would rather try my hand with something else (another clown variety). any suggestions of a good pair for the tank? i plan on waiting a while before adding anything, probably till summer break when i am available to get them established.

oh and that flowerpot will probably be taken out, it was the clowns home but ireally hate the way it looks. unless it would be a good breeding ground for (hopefully) future spawns of a future pair, but it couldnt be easily removed if spawining occured.

also, i was wondering if anybody here is breeding and shipping home raised clowns. i have read they ship well? the only LFS around here is a petco, and i wont buy any more fish from them. i could order them online, but i owuld like to support a hobbyist.

if anybody has any suggestions or comments or anything, please please please contribute. im at a loss as to what to do.

TIA everybody! and sorry about the long post...

when you say all parameters, you test temp, salinity, ph, ammonia, nitrates... all the good stuff?

it's kinda hard to tell what might have caused it. Wish I could offer more help.

as far as breeding I can't really offer much more than some general direction. There are a number of books out there with some useful information (I've heard, i haven't picked up any myself yet but would like to get into the breeding category someday as well)

You are doing the right thing by keep the tank a single species, I would believe. Hope things go better for you.

thanks billyz

yes, sg is 1.023, temp is in normal range (i dont remmber exactically what, im at school) and the tests right after the fish's death showed zero ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. calcium levels are 450, ph is 8.3, alk is normal.

this is very depressing.

Hmmm, stress does not seem the factor and your shrimp never had signs of aggression? Honestly copper could have gotten into it? Sorry I could not have been much help, might have been to much for them. Are you sure these two were a mated pair? They could have been picking upon one another :?: :?: :?:

Your mom doesn't spray cleaning agents on or near the tank when she cleans does she? Little Windex would prolly do it. Any signs of starvation? What was their diet? Just the fish died right, no other inverts?...

yes, it was just the fish. they were fed flake in the morning, rotating between prime reef and hikari small pellets, and a frozen blender mash in the evening (included brine shrimp, zoe vitamins, mysis shrimp, nori, and finely chopped table shrimp).

i asked my mom about the cleaning agents, shes sure she hasent used any around it.

i guess its a hopeless case.

ive personally only kept ocellaris clowns. what experiences do people have with other clowns that they would like to share? i know i want to keep some sort of clown again.

Back
Top Bottom