CUC first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the order of stocking? Corals first? CUC then fish? What's the best route to go? I wanna do this right. I pretty much know what fish I want. A scooter blenny I think that's the name. A pair of clowns but I don't want the norm and a sand sifting goby. Maybe a blue spotted jaw fish? A nice CUC shrimp an assortment , snails, hermit crabs or other crabs. What are my options?

Thanks
Dino

I'd probably go with a few fish first and make sure my tank parameters are under control. Many corals are highly sensitive to nitrates and phosphates. While you're adding your fish you can add some of the hardier corals (zoas, shrooms etc). Down the road you can add the more sensitive lps\sps corals. The addition of your cuc doesn't really matter. Though I would add them concurrently with the fish or after so that they have something to eat. Or you can always add your cuc first and feed accordingly. It's really up to you.

I go with invertebrates first a couple of hermit crabs which I do feed an a snail or two before my fish. A sand sifting goby and a scooter needs a well established tank they should be your last fish to put in. I would go for the clowns first and hope they don't claim the full tank for their own. The jawfish is a neat fish from what I have seen but they are jumpers make sure your tank is well covered. I don't stock fast either usually at least a month in between fish just so they can get use to a life in a tank since most are wild caught.

I go with invertebrates first a couple of hermit crabs which I do feed an a snail or two before my fish. A sand sifting goby and a scooter needs a well established tank they should be your last fish to put in. I would go for the clowns first and hope they don't claim the full tank for their own. The jawfish is a neat fish from what I have seen but they are jumpers make sure your tank is well covered. I don't stock fast either usually at least a month in between fish just so they can get use to a life in a tank since most are wild caught.

what about the territorial problems? the clowns will take over the tank instantly and it could turn into a bloodbath if you put a small blenny or goby in there(Dino think of what happened in the cichlid tank)

I'd go with the CuC first for sure. not sure on which fish but it's my understanding that you should put the most agressive in last, not first. but I'm no expert.

I'd wait a good 2 weeks for any corals other than zoas, they love dirty water. Just to get your tank used to having something crap in it lol. but I treat my tank like a live thing as a whole rather than the seperate parts :)

NyteGTI said:
what about the territorial problems? the clowns will take over the tank instantly and it could turn into a bloodbath if you put a small blenny or goby in there(Dino think of what happened in the cichlid tank)

I'd go with the CuC first for sure. not sure on which fish but it's my understanding that you should put the most agressive in last, not first. but I'm no expert.

I'd wait a good 2 weeks for any corals other than zoas, they love dirty water. Just to get your tank used to having something crap in it lol. but I treat my tank like a live thing as a whole rather than the seperate parts :)

Thanks Ryan! Yeah I don't want another Cichlid tank episode! Ever EVER again!! Hopefully by doing the right thing I can finally rest.

I may be the weird one, but I've put clowns in first a few times and they never got that aggressive. Guess it's just luck of the draw. lol

I've gone a different way with first livestock added each time I've made a tank. I don't think it really matters in the end. The only caution is if you add a cuc first, you need to not add a whole boatlaod adn you will have to feed them. :) otherwise I think what ever order you feel comfortable with you should go with.

A small CUC will have plenty to eat if you used LR that had some die off during the cycle. Even if you justa have a cycled tank with rock only, a small bit of food every few days is needed for the ammonia consuming organisms created during the cycle. Almost like feeding the rock.

I see no reason why you can't put a couple hermits and a snail or so in there first. It's just me maybe, but I'd rather "test" my water with a couple of $3.95 hermits before I do it with a $20 fish. You can do both easily too.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom