Curiosity on saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. I've been doing freshwater for about a year now, and I love it. But, my family would like for me to look into starting another, saltwater, tank. I was thinking a small one because I'm on a budget. All I really want is a clownfish or 2, and if possible some cool looking nano fish. I really don't know much about salt so I need some help. How big of a tank would I new for the previous fish mentioned? Also, what would a price range be?

Thx for the help!

For a pair of the smaller clowns you can get away with a 20 long (a 29 would be better) and add maybe a goby/shrimp pair. For a fowlr I would say you could start it up for $250 ish if you want a reef probably double (I think I'm at about $700 on my 20 but almost half was lighting)

i personally would spend as much time as possible browsing through the SW forums here. become an active member in the sw forums, take in as much info as possible. once you feel you have a solid grasp on the basics, (nitrogen cycle, salinity/specific gravity, water quality testing, etc) start searching craigslist for a decent setup.its always been my experience that its much easier to buy a used setup, then simply upgrade the parts that you see necessary. (as opposed to buying new setup outright). good luck!! :)

Alright. I just finished a FOWLR (Fish only with live rock) in a 20g high. If I were to do it again I'd go with a used set up in a heart beat. I think mine ended up costing me $350 to start. Most of that is because of having to buy one time things like refractometer, tests and all that stuff. Once you have them you dot need to buy them or at least not often.
Do you plan on having a reef?
I know you want clownfish and they are great.

Now what I would do is start out with a FOWLR tank, then as you get a good grip on it you can upgrade your lighting and start a reef.

RESEARCH IS KEY! Always do tons of research before you start anything! Go to the: Saltwater: Just getting started
Section on this forum and read the stickies!

Have fun and good luck!

i personally would spend as much time as possible browsing through the SW forums here. become an active member in the sw forums, take in as much info as possible. once you feel you have a solid grasp on the basics, (nitrogen cycle, salinity/specific gravity, water quality testing, etc) start searching craigslist for a decent setup.its always been my experience that its much easier to buy a used setup, then simply upgrade the parts that you see necessary. (as opposed to buying new setup outright). good luck!! :)

+1 Said it all.

Joining in conversations here on the forums is by far one of the best ways to learn information about aquariums in a hurry.

Whew! A lot to catch up on. Thx for all the help. So, could I start a SW tank and then eventually (years later) upgrade the lights so I could have corals? Also, is the nitrogen cycle the same in SW as in FW? I don't have to have a pair of clowns, just 1 would be fine. Now I'm thinking of a bigger tank like a 29 or 40. One last ques: I've heard that the saltwater wares away glass tanks. Would I need an acrylic one or is this not true?

I've been looking through the forums, browsing online, and am planning on buying a book.

I can't thank u enough!

now im thinking a small 10g with a clown would be good....

I'm probably gonna get toasted for saying this but as long as you go slow and the clown is your only fish that should be fine. Get him tiny and grow him out in the ten. You will need to upgrade him eventually though. My first tank was a ten with 2 clowns...lol and ill admit I was foolish to put 2 in there but they're still with me and in a 20 now. Best fish I've ever owned.

Whew! A lot to catch up on. Thx for all the help. So, could I start a SW tank and then eventually (years later) upgrade the lights so I could have corals? Also, is the nitrogen cycle the same in SW as in FW? I don't have to have a pair of clowns, just 1 would be fine. Now I'm thinking of a bigger tank like a 29 or 40. One last ques: I've heard that the saltwater wares away glass tanks. Would I need an acrylic one or is this not true?

I've been looking through the forums, browsing online, and am planning on buying a book.

I can't thank u enough!

Oh to answer these questions also. Yes you can start a fowlr (fish only with live rock) and then upgrade the lights later for coral. Basically yes but cycling a sw tank is different than cycling a fw tank. If you did a 29-40 gallon tank a pair of clowns would be great! And salt creep is a pain but as long as you clean it you don't have to worry about it wearing away at the tank for a while.

The smaller your tank the harder it is going to be to maintain. I would seriously suggest going with something larger than a 10g to start.

The smaller your tank the harder it is going to be to maintain. I would seriously suggest going with something larger than a 10g to start.

+1 a 40 breeder make great tanks for beginners and beautiful reefs when you go that way ( I can almost guarantee you will)

You might as well just go with a 40 breeder, I'm not 100%, but I'd assume the cost between a 20 and a 40 wouldn't be significantly different. Again, I may be completely wrong.

Ok, I will wait a while to get the tank. I will probably upgrade my 10g first, or at the same time as this.

Back
Top Bottom