Curious about prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan4scuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
My LFS wants $8.99 for 5 gallons of RO/DI Salt Water and $3.99 for 5 gallons of RO/DI water. I live just outside NYC. How does that compare with your prices? Also with a 9 gallon nano reef how much of each will I be using each month. And can you keep Salt Water for a few weeks without it losing any potency?

Thanks
Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I get mine for a $1/gal in CT. As for a 9 gal, doing a 50% WC every two weeks would be 9 gals/ month. Yes it should last without any issues if you keep it sealed. There could be some evaporation but very minimal and that would only require a top off of plain RO/DI water. Not a salt mix since the only thing that evaporated was the water and not the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Those prices are pretty close to what I pay in south Florida. My first nano was a 9 gallon ehiem and I did a 3 gallon water change every week. That was the amount of water that kept my parameters looking good. I don't know what your stocking is like but my bioload is very small. If you absolutely cant do a water change once a week definitely test the water every other day that second week. Things happen very fast in a nano that size

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice. This forum is great. So I guess if I'm using 10 gallons a month of SW and a couple of gallons of RO it probably pays to get a RODI system on EBay. It will pay for itself in 6 or 7 months. Any thoughts on this? I was also wondering if anyone would be willing to guide me through the setup and advise on questions that might come up? Thanks
Jan

I got 3 gal for $2.70.

St. Petersburg, FL

Here in Salt Lake City Ut RODI is $0.25 per gallon and salt water is a bit more at my LFS. I still make my own with my BRS 4 stage RODI filter. It saves time money and effort with larger tanks.

Thanks for the advice. This forum is great. So I guess if I'm using 10 gallons a month of SW and a couple of gallons of RO it probably pays to get a RODI system on EBay. It will pay for itself in 6 or 7 months. Any thoughts on this? I was also wondering if anyone would be willing to guide me through the setup and advise on questions that might come up? Thanks
Jan

Bulkreefsupply has nice units that simply screw onto a faucet. One thing I consider a must have for ro/di units is an inline tds meter, but most have this now. It will definitely pay for itself in short time, and the best investment one can make if they want a successful sw reef tank IMO.

$1 p/gal good SW mixed

.25 p/gal at a hobbyist coral store (they are online but out of their house)
.50 p/gal at all other lfs I have been to for RO/DI

$1 p/gal good SW mixed

.25 p/gal at a hobbyist coral store (they are online but out of their house)
.50 p/gal at all other lfs I have been to for RO/DI
I thought it sounded expensive. It's. $1.80 a gallon. Almost 2 or 3 times what most people are paying. Over long run definitely pays to buy RODI System. The also want 14.00 pet pound for live rock. Is that expensive as well. Sounds that way to me. Reef master test kit was close to $50.00 and online abt. 28. How could I buy anything from them at those prices. Always want to support local business but a 2x cost can't afford to

I thought it sounded expensive. It's. $1.80 a gallon. Almost 2 or 3 times what most people are paying. Over long run definitely pays to buy RODI System. The also want 14.00 pet pound for live rock. Is that expensive as well. Sounds that way to me. Reef master test kit was close to $50.00 and online abt. 28. How could I buy anything from them at those prices. Always want to support local business but a 2x cost can't afford to

8.99-10.99 for the LR it varies quite a bit. Maybe because it is the big city, and maybe it is because they don't have much competition.

I agree on support lfs but I also can't justify the 2x the cost. I will pay about 1/3 more for stellar advice and help on something to be fair. But You don't really need their advice to know about LR or that you need a test kit. I want to be fair but I would expect them to be fair (on pricing).

Thanks for the confirmation. I see LR online for 3/4 dollars a pound. Of course you need to add in shipping as well. Surprisingly this LFS has a Petco and a Petsmart within walking distance.
There are 2 other big LFS about 15 miles or so away. I'll hit them this weekend just to see the difference and then make a decision.

See if they'll bargain down a bit, my lfs has ridiculous prices but after a quick haggle I can usually get them to a reasonable medium..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's $6/lb at a local "average" community town and 13 miles away at a business (in an "upscale" community) a really good friend works at, it's $13-$15/lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

See if they'll bargain down a bit, my lfs has ridiculous prices but after a quick haggle I can usually get them to a reasonable medium..

I agree. I cant get all the lfs to come off the price a little bit. I don't haggle with them for water or food but everything else I feel is negotiable

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i dont believe paying the 60% mark up at any lfs
if i see what i want i turn to them and laugh looking at the price saying 'really'
if they dont offer a better deal i just walk out
the one shop i deal with knows me now i basically get things for cost
cause they know ill get it online otherwise

I think thats the only way to go. As much as I would like to support local businesses, it's hard if they are going to try and gouge you. I will try telling them that when I go there.

I think thats the only way to go. As much as I would like to support local businesses, it's hard if they are going to try and gouge you. I will try telling them that when I go there.

There's a difference between fair market mark up and outrageous gouging.. an ac70 for $70?!?!?! Come on...

So now that we know prices seem to be all over the place, can anyone tell me if the have bought LR online? There seem to be many different placed offering all kinds of LR from dry to others teeming with coral algae and inverts.
Any suggestions on which are the most reliable and which has the best?

Back
Top Bottom