Custom 29 gallon rimless build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the best ato in your opinions? I think I'm going to purchase one and I just want to hear personal opinions. Also I've got a horrible story/mistake that I made... Which caused me to have an ich outbreak that I believe is under control now...It also led me to setting up 75 fowlr that is cycling now

I really like my JBJ ATO. Have it tied in with an aqua lifter pump. I do my top off and water changes through it. Pump is easily replaced if it breaks for 15 bucks.

Well time for the story of my screw up, so at petco I don't work the days that we get shipments in so I don't get to tell people what not to put together... About 2 weeks ago we got a shipment Thursday and in the shipment was a tiny kole tang about the size of my thumb nail maybe a little bigger. Other workers put him I'm with a sailfin tang that is about 3.5-4 inches... Needless to say he did not fair well at all he really got beaten up bad missing a lot of his dorsal fin and tail with a bit of damage to his body. Since kole tangs are my favorite fish this killed me... Soo the manager gave him to me, I brought him home and put him in this tank. The next day he was COVERED in ick by the next day it spread to my clowns so about a week ago since I don't have a qt I was just trying my hardest to supplement there diet and let it run it's course let whatever happen happen. I decided I was going to try something I've never seen before. I did I hyposalinity dip on my 3 fish. The salt level was over what I could read with my hydrometer but I heated the water to make sure all the salt dissolved, basically a supersaturated solution then let it cool to the temp of the tank. Once it was the right temperature I dipped my fish for 2 seconds each. By the time I pulled them out of the water the visible ick parasites fell off. They've now been completely symptom free for about 5 days. Also before anyone freaks out this kole tang is less than one inch and I have a 75 already cycling for him. This 29 is absolutely not meant as his permanent home

Well, good luck with that. I'm a fan of kole's too...totally tried to keep one and shouldn't have. Just keep an eye on things in the tank with the ich since it can live w/o a host for many weeks in the sandbed before it moves into the next life stage where it becomes free swimming in search of a host. Hope hypo did the trick for you. Just keep it stable and pristine!

In a slightly more positive note the kole is getting increasingly active and picks algae off of everything. The only problem is he's so quick and darts around that he knocks almost all my corals off their rocks. What's a good putty that can be used underwater to secure them?

Looks great! I love Duncan's as well, just a great hardy coral. If that toadstool is anything like mine it'll grow about 10x it's size in like 8-10 months

Well sad sad news, but I should have known it was going to happen... The ich came back with a vengeance... Lost everything in the tank besides corals...

3 days ago the ammonia and nitrites both reached zero, they have been zero since then. So yesterday I went and picked up my first residents. I'll be holding off on anything else for awhile. I might get some mushrooms or something maybe a small colony of zoas but I'll still wait a bit. It took awhile to get my salt levels where I wanted. I got a platinum percula clown and a misbar black ocellaris.View attachment 292649

How much were they?

I have that light with my Red Sea 20 gal and it is sooo good u will be amazed on how good the light is

Back
Top Bottom