Custom 29 gallon rimless build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEaquarium06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have decided to get back into saltwater after a short break of no aquariums except a 300 gal turtle tank and a 300 gal iguana enclosure with some neon tetras. But anyway I have an empty 29 gal rimless tanks I used to have seahorses in. I want to start a journal style here right from the beginning. Talking about equipment and the process of setting up a reef tank from the very beginning. Right now I have 2 sunsun 530gph wavemakers and that's literally all I have so far. I'm open to any suggestions for anything else, right now I'm leaning towards a AI primd hd for lights and I think I want to do HOB filtration. Any sugestion on other equipment or stock list?1479516810946.jpg

Well the only things i'm absolutely positive I want are a hammer coral and 1 Black ocellaris clownfish and an orange ocellaris. Other than that i'm very open. I was leaning more towards lps corals with some sps. I think i want to stay away from anemones.

rock flowers are among the easiest to maintain and don't require as bright of a light as most anemones , mine will hide under a ledge if the light is too strong , I keep rock flowers in my reef . they do fine with corals , 2 clowns as they grow will need a bigger tank over time , if it were me and xmas is around the corner a lot of those bigger pet stores usually have those buck a gal sales and I would jump into a 40b breeder , you would love the foot print too .

now looking back you probably are tight on space with all those other tanks

2 occelaris clowns would be fine in that size tank their whole lives. I have rfa in my 20 gallon and while cool they don't offer any movement or different growth forms like a lot of corals do.

I'm fairly confident a pair will be good in this tank, I had a pair in my 20 awile ago and they were fine. I also did purchase the prime hd today, I was going to wait and see other people's advice but I got an offer from Amazon for $100 off my next purchase so I had to do it, $250 lights for $150 sounds good to me

The light came in today, I love its design and how powerful it is, I've had a little trouble with the operating system but I'm sure that will get better. I also need to get a new heater which I forgot about does anyone have any suggestion for a very reliable/efficient one? 1479778347213.jpg1479778369543.jpg

Has anyone used an aqua life 115 mini internal skimmer? I just picked one up for a great deal. I've never used a skimmer before so I don't know anything about them or how they work

The tank is now in my room and the light is attached, I'll be waiting until a few days after Christmas to actually fill it up though1479949272443.jpg

Cool build! I've heard great things about those lights. Can't wait to see you fill it up.

I love the lights so far, but I haven't really seen them in action yet so only time will tell. I have all the hardware installed and ready to fill the tank up, just waiting until after finals. I love the skimmer that came, I got it for a steal off Amazon warehouse because it's original packaging was badly damaged. It feels like it's great quality.1480436415073.jpg1480436415073.jpg

Nice build!!!
I have to follow because you are local to me!
Where are you going to get your stock from?

Nice build!!!
I have to follow because you are local to me!
Where are you going to get your stock from?
Most likely I'll be going to eddies, I've been talking to them a lot about this one and they've been giving me pretty solid advice so far. They're the ones who pointed me in the direction of the prime

Most likely I'll be going to eddies, I've been talking to them a lot about this one and they've been giving me pretty solid advice so far. They're the ones who pointed me in the direction of the prime

Eddies is # 1 LFS in the area.
I have been doing fish with him for over 30 years now.(y)

So I think I've decided on a stocking list. It now is

2 ocellsris clowns
1 yasha shrimp goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp

What do you guys think? I still haven't decided on any coral yet but I've got plenty of time for that

So I think I've decided on a stocking list. It now is

2 ocellsris clowns
1 yasha shrimp goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp

What do you guys think? I still haven't decided on any coral yet but I've got plenty of time for that

Honestly it's a good stock but you're not gonna see the goby a lot. May want to plan on getting a fourth fish unless you're content watching the clowns all the time.

Oh wait you don't have a top right? Yashas are jumpers. I tried 2 in my old 20 and they both jumped after a week.

Honestly it's a good stock but you're not gonna see the goby a lot. May want to plan on getting a fourth fish unless you're content watching the clowns all the time.

Oh wait you don't have a top right? Yashas are jumpers. I tried 2 in my old 20 and they both jumped after a week.
Is there anther goby that develops the relationship with the shrimp? Thats the only reason why I wanted the pistol shrimp

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddies has a bonded shrimp and goby in their little 'seahorse' tank back near the live rock just yesterday I believe!!!The goby was out in front of the shrimp who was decent sized....I would give them a call and see if they are still their.Eddie holds stuff with deposit I believe....They caught my attention but I always look in the little tank...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom