Cycle with Live Rock from a Display Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phlex

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started a 10g nano, about 2 weeks ago. I added dry sand, and live sand, cured live rock that was being held in a storage tank, and also several pounds of live rock from an established display tank. They were transported two hours in a 6 gallon bucket submerged in the established tanks water, and then instantly put in my 10g when I got home.

I've tested the water just about every day since adding the rock, and have not noticed a single spike in ammonia, or nitrite, and my nitrates are around .5ppm. After seeing these levels for about 3 days, with no spikes in any, I added two clowns. They are healthy and voraciously eating the freeze dried brine shrimp. Its now day 9 after the rock was added, levels are still 0ppm, 0ppm, and around .5ppm nitrate.

Is it safe to assume that I skipped the cycle process all together? And in your expert opinions would it be a safe bet to start slowly adding a few corals?

Thanks

You may have had enough "live" components and avoided a cycle. Still, I think waiting a month or two before adding corals would be a good idea. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom