Damsels & blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiamondSaltWater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! This is our first post. We have a 28g nano cube. We have 2 yellow tailed damsels in the tank now. Brown built up algae has started. The fish store told us to get a Blenny, good idea?

I'm quite new to this as well, my tank is two months old and has brown algae (diatoms). As far as I know it's fairly common with new tanks and should die down in time, I just make sure my amm, nitrates, nitrites, ph and phos are good and I stick to my pwc's. I think that's all I can do to get rid????

Walkerrobin said:
I'm quite new to this as well, my tank is two months old and has brown algae (diatoms). As far as I know it's fairly common with new tanks and should die down in time, I just make sure my amm, nitrates, nitrites, ph and phos are good and I stick to my pwc's. I think that's all I can do to get rid????

Sorry - how old is the new tank, I'm sure the pro's who will help would want to know!!!

Our tank is 2 weeks old. Had water tested today & levels are great. I've read bad things about starting with damsels (which we did) & other fishing going into the tank after the damsels. I'm thinking of putting some snails in!

DiamondSaltWater said:
Our tank is 2 weeks old. Had water tested today & levels are great. I've read bad things about starting with damsels (which we did) & other fishing going into the tank after the damsels. I'm thinking of putting some snails in!

It's just better to cycle your tank without live fish, I took the advice on here and cycled with raw shrimp, it took 3 weeks for the complete cycle. You may not have cycled your tank yet.

I kept fish for years but only salt recently but I would suggest putting your fish into a established tank / LFS until you know it's cycled completely.

I'm sure the experienced guys on here will set you (and me!!!) straight!

There will be a spike in ammonia and nitrates. I bought my own liquid test kits and checked the water through out the cycle.

Post your test results if you have them...

Your tank is cycling now and you will probably have algaes that seem to crop out of no where it is best to figure out the problem and not depend on a fish to take care of it. My lawnmower blenny would rather eat flakes and frozen foods than algae but his personality more than makes up for that fact.

It is best to cycle your tank without fish since stress causes disease and some diseases in saltwater tanks are harder to treat than with freshwater.

If its on your sand bed i would recommend a goby.. mine does a great job... sucks in a bunch of sand and it come out his gills nice and clean

Back
Top Bottom